Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

AEG built-in freezer G 9 18 50-4i type B227446 PNC 922 754

Customer Question

AEG built-in freezer G 9 18 50-4i type B227446 PNC 922 754 708 installed about 10 years ago. Display flashes continually approx every second (coinciding with an internal tapping noise). Occasionally freezer shuts down for no apparent reason and alarm sounds: controls are then inoperative but restarts of its accord.
Replace?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im sorry to heart that. can you tell approximately where the tapping sound is coming from?

Also is there any heavy frost on the rear wall inside the freezer?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No heavy frost. Can't tell where noise is from but it stops when the door is opened!
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information,

This is the relay on the control board to blame for this issue.

So, the only way to repair this one is to replace the main control board in the back of the freezer behind the access cover. This part is behind the freezer.

Its easy to replace with just a couple of basic hand tools;-)

I will help further if you need me.

The best place to order this control board is: http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/

I would call them to order this control board for two reasons, 1) they will ship it out the same day in most cases.

2) you will be sure to get the correct part the first time ;-)

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is the access panel?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi on that one it is either directly on the back of the freezer, or in the lower access panel where the compressor is located ;-)

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a built-in freezer. Do I have to remove it to get at the panel? (PLEASE DON'T SAY YES!)
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I know!

Yes, dont hit me lol!

Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

I would get the new board first

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been onto Ransom's website and they list hundreds of control panels. Do you have any detailed description or, better still, a part number?
Thanks for your help so far.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi no I dont have that for this model, that is what I mentioned that you really need to call them to place the order , then you will also know that they sent you the correct board the first time ;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Youre welcome;-)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The man at Ransom said there are two boards, the power board and the PCB display board, both expensive and one out of stock until mid-September. Do you know which one I need? I'm in two minds as to whether to buy a new freezer or repair as the boards would not be returnable. How confident are you with your diagnosis?
My gut feeling is to get a new freezer in view of the age of mine (10 years) and the cost and hassle of repairing it.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi, you could replace both boards but its the power board you need.

Im sure of that.

But due to its age and the cost you may wish to replace the whole unit.

I will be here later on if you have any further questions;-)

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael
Thanks for your email. I decided to buy a new freezer. There was a 10% reduction on offer and I should get it on Tuesday. I don't anticipate any trouble installing it (famous last words!).
Thanks for your assistance which helped me to make up my mind.
No further questions.
Cheers.
Bob Standring