Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

A Siemens dishwasher giving an E24 fault Assistant: Thank

Customer Question

Hi, a Siemens dishwasher giving an E24 fault
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Sure: The cycle will run like this; sump pump runs, circulation pump runs then E24. A cleaer view is after I empty the machine completeley it does this: the cycle runs as normal but at the end of the cycle the plastic tank on the left side fills with water then the cycle ends (npt sure if this is normal. Starting a new cycle, the sump pump runs, then the circulation pump then E24 butn the tank on the ned is still full. I have make sure there are no restrictions and the empty hose is not blocked
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Machine has been giving E24 erros for a couple of weeks but would usually run ok after stopping and starting again. Now give error everytime. Machine is 5 years old, serial number SN26M690GB
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just to be clear, the sump pump does remove the water.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

That error means that the control sees an issue with the draining of the machine. See the attached page.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like the non return valve may be faulty and leaking if the tank is filling after it drains.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Is the drain hose routed up so the water cannot flow back down after being discharged? See the attached page for the non-return valve. Can you inspect that for issues?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry no mobile reception here where the dishwasher is, very old farmhouse with very thick walls. is Skype possible?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

I am only available for messaging at the moment. I will send you the compete manual. Please allow me just a few minutes.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The NRV is next to the sump pump? I'll see what I can see
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The manual is available for download at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Check that valve and the routing of the drain hose. That side tank should not be filling up at the end of the cycle.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I had the drain hose flat from the outlet so there was very little backed up.
I checked the NRV (it's just a little soft flap valve?) I pushed it and the sump emptied but there was nothing blocking either side
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Is there a high loop so the drain hose cannot allow water to run back down to the machine after it has drained?

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

See the diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can say that the hose has never been installed that way in all the time I have had it, just not the space under the sink to allow it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
At the moment it is laying flat on the floor emptying into a tray so I don't think anything is running back
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Are all of the outlets on that tank clean, see the attached page, page number 15-17 in that manual I sent you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I removed the tank as the ventillation valve was gunged up and I cleaned and flushed the whole thing.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
When the sump pump has run there is less than 1" of water in the bottom of the sump so I guess it is draining correctly?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Yes, it will stop draining once air is in the pump, so all the water will never go completely out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I notice that the drainage hose ventillation valve has water in the bottom chamber, but not the top. I guess this flowed up from the outlet 7 & 8 as it discharged.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is the heat exchanger drainage valve the route for the water to leave the tank? If this might be a problem I have a multi meter but I don't know what to check for
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

I think there is an issue in the tank valves.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can send a photo of the tank if it helps?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Yes, please!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Image attached
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

That tank should not have that much water in it. Something is blocked somewhere. Check the hoses that lead from that tank to the sump.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK disconnected from the pump and blew into it, no blockage.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hmm, sounds like that the tank will need to be replaced then.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can just make out the red seal on the drainage valve is all the way to the left which I guess prevents the water from leaving the tank. When should this open and can I check the valve somehow?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

See the attached page.

Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Start a cycle and see if that solenoid is getting energized and if it opens when it does.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK so I start a cycle, the sump pump runs, the circulation pump runs then eventually E24. So I removed and emptied the tank and ran another cycle. This time water enters and leaves the tank and the cycle is OK and finishes but with the tank full of water.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the valve does operate
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Okay, good. I am not sure why the tank is filling back up with water, though. Does it fill slowly and is it filling with clean water or drain water?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Slow fill with clean water
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

So the inlet valve must be getting energized to open and fill.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If the components (valves, pumps etc) operate then it is a sequence problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

It seems like it, yes. I am going to get you the instructions to run a service cycle and see if it will change things at all.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, I checked the resistance. Initially it reads 1.9 then falls to zero!
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The tech sheet for your model is attached.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK run all 3?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Yes, that will be fine. We know that E24 will show up.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK running pre rinse programme, it is adding more water, tank is full
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
just keeps adding more water to already full tank and water fl.owing into dishwasher
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Okay, it sounds like that the inlet valve may be faulty and allowing water to seep in. Does it fill faster now that at the end when the tank fills?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I would say yes, not certain
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I let this cycle run?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

If it won't stop filling I would cancel it after seeing the water valve is powered or leaking. Is there voltage to it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok you lost me a bit. The water entered the inside of the dishwasher via the Expansion opening item 10,when the tank filled up. not via the drain valve
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok cancelled it, reset via the 3 second hold and now the sump pump emptied it
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

The water inlet valve that opens to allow the dishwasher to fill, is it getting energized when it fills at the end or now when it is overflowing?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It allows water in and doesnt allow water out. the tank is still full
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To be clear, the heat exchanger drainage valve has not moved, water entered via a ddifferent route
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

So it drained the tub but the heat exchanger is still full?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
exactly
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

I think there is an issue with the valve, it may be intermittent or the control is not energizing it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok, so I'll order a new valve and if not that what do you suggest?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

A control issue if a new valve does not fix it would be the next step.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
is that replace a board?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
which?
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Likely ,yes, the main control that is mounted on the right side down in the base of the machine.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK, I have a mission. Thank you very much for your help and patience
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

My pleasure, thank you!