George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

How do I open the panel underneath a Bosch dishwasher door

Customer Question

Expert:  canuck the pro replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I have been in the plumbing field for 20 years. I will be glad to help you today. It might help to look with a flashlight but there are two screws that hold the front plate on beneath the door. Do you see them? There is not a way to shut off the water to the dishwasher?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The dishwasher is not taking in water. I have checked the connection to my water source. I will check that but my problem is that the dishwasher is not taking on water. If I jiggle the water inlet pipe sometimes it works but then leaks from under the machine

Have you removed the plate below the door? The water pipe may just be kinked but you will have to look underneath the dishwasher with the plate removed.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I cannot see any screws do not have any manuals. The dishwasher is quite old but not used very much

The plate is set back from the door and the screws are usually black and hard to see. Have you looked with a flashlight? You might even have to lay on the floor to see them.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am not able to call you as I am in France. Could you explain to me what could possibly the reason and what do I need to look for when I get the door open?

Sorry if the site keeps suggesting a phone call. Considering that shaking the line gets water to go through it very well may be a kink in the line or it may be twisted. It may need to be tightened to stop the leak also. When you do take the plate off you can always take a picture and post it here if the issue is not obvious.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you tell me in the water inlet pipe that screws on to the back of the dishwasher has some sort of 'valve' that lets the water in and shuts of during the washing programme. Or is it just a plain pipe?

It actually does not connect onto the back. It is right behind the plate to the left. You can access the connection from there without having to remove the dishwasher. No the shut off is not usually installed there. It is usually installed at the source of the water. Is there not one under the sink?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Sorry I need to find answers to your questions about the water source and get the panel off as I have to take out cupboard shelves under the sink to see where in water inlet pipe 'joins' the water pipes. I also need to get light and screwdrivers tomorrow morning when the light is better. Could you let me know how to get back to you in the morning?

Right here in the chat. I may not be online when you do comment but I surely will respond as soon as I am. Not sure about the time difference. It is 1030pm here now. It is a holiday weekend here so no working tomorrow too.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is 3.30.am on Monday here. As the wash programme is working WHEN it takes on water does that indicate that it is not a programming electrical fault?

It surely does. Worst case scenario the water valve is at fault but it very well just may be a twisted line or debris in the line. It think the most likely repair is going to be finding the stop valve under the sink and turning it off and disconnecting the line from the valve under the machine then directing the line into a bucket and turning on to flush it out then reconnecting it. Since it does not leak all the time there may be a crack in a hose or a crack in the water valve. The valve is very easy to replace. Once the water is off disconnect the supply line from the valve under the machine and remove the anchor screws that hold the valve then disconnect the hose clamp on the back of it and the wire harness. Install the new one doing that in reverse. If it is the valve then you would have to order a new one from a local appliance parts supplier using the model number inside the door on the label.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for all that info will get back to you when I have tried.
Carol

You are very welcome. I look forward to it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Mike
I am progressing slowly with trying to sort it out. To date have disconnected the water inlet hose from the back of the machine and there appears to not be a problem there. Found a small plastic piece round about half inch long with 'plastic netting' assume that is a filter. That was clean as is the inlet pipe. Not quite sure what to do next. You mention in your messages a valve. What do I do to find that? What do I need to do to get at it? The machine has 2 screwed on plates about 6 by 4 one on each side of the machine just at floor level and very close to the front of the machine. Incidentally the machine works if you pull it out a bit. Very odd could the movement be jarring something into action? Obviously careful not to trap inlet and outlet pipes when pushing it back.

What is the model number of the machine? There should be a panel inside the rim of the door with that information.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
SGS4012FF/13
FD7912
490012

I will have to take a closer look later on as I am on a service call today that will take a few more hours. Will this help in the meantime? Click here

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks. Will wait to hear from you when you have time

Were you able to open the link? Is this a built in model of dishwasher?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Thanks for your message. The dishwasher is not a built in model.. I did open the link but could not understand it very easily. I seemed to find a lot about leaking machines but not a lot that seems to help with my problem - sorry

No problem, I should have asked earlier for the model number. I thought it was the built in type. Which number is ***** model number?

I am going to opt out and open to other experts. Hopefully the next expert will be online at the same time as you are.

Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 3 months ago.

Hello Carol, my name is ***** ***** I am a UK expert.. I wonder if I may assist you in some way..

You describe the jiggling of a pipe.. to which pipe are you referring?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What is happening is:
The machine is not taking on water or intermittently. If I pull the machine out from under the work surface , 9 times out of 10 it works.
If I push it back, taking care not to 'squash' the pipes it does not!
It seems like the water is getting into the water feed pipe and not into the machine as there is some water on the floor under the machine when it refuses to work when the machine is back under the work surface.
I have checked the water inlet hose by disconnecting from the top of the water inlet hose where it feeds off the mains water inlet which seems clear.
I have removed the bottom of the water inlet hose where it goes to the back of the machine and that appears to be clear of debris. I have also checked the water filter at the back of the machine which I can get at and removed it from the back of the machine when I took off the hose at the bottom of the machine. This is clear also. ( this is a small circular piece of plastic about half an inch long with a 'spider web like exterior)
It seems like if I pull the machine forward from under the work surface the machine takes on water and works perfectly through the whole chosen programme BUT if I push the machine back under the work surface it does not!
Wondered if the pulling out of the machine 'jars' the machine and makes it take on water, perhaps some sort of component that sends a 'message' to whatever component allows the machine to take on water and activates it? That doesn't happen when machine is under the work surface Sorry know that sounds gobbledygook but hope you know what I mean ��
THANKS
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 2 months ago.

In relation to the appliance; which direction and to where, do the pipes lead... describe it in as much detail as you can.

Also, you say you want to get into the base, is this correct?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The water inlet pipe is connected to a 'spur' off the mains water inlet pipe which is directly under the kitchen sink. The water outlet pipe feeds into the drain from the kitchen sink. The water inlet hose then goes behind the back of the cupboard and then to the dishwasher which is next to this under sink cupboard. The water inlet hose then fits on the bottom of the dishwasher(as you are looking at the back of the dishwasher on the right hand side) The pipe is hard plastic, see through and is the original pipe that came with the dishwasher. The dishwasher is quite old but has not had much use as I only use the property about 4 times a year. It is in France where I am at the moment.
When I arrived it was working ok.

Thanks for that... I would normally have said that such an issue would have been caused by the Water Fill Assembly, or a bent/restricted hose, but in your situation, given that the hose is of hard format and pulling out the appliance allows it to work correctly, I am envisioning one of two scenarios:

1. The plastic fill hose has degraded and is folding and hence restricting the water flow when the dishwasher is placed back into its cavity. (unlikely but possible)... Make sure that the pipe is one continuous bend and has no way to kink.
  2. The cable to the Fill Valve is defective near to the plug, the Fill Valve itself is faulty, or most likely the Plug on the Fill Valve is loose. When stress is placed on the Fill Valve and it moves slightly the plug on the valve and the cable attached to it could move.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for that. Sorry but am unsure what a fill valve is. Is this inside the actual water hose? Or inside the dishwasher?
When you say 'plug' is that the piece on the end of the hose that screws into the back of the dishwasher that also has a rubber washer in it.

The Fill Valve is the part to which you attach the hose onto the dishwasher. At the other end of that part (inside the dishwasher) is a solenoid that allows throughput of water by electrical request... If your dishwasher requires water then the valve will operate to allow water in..

The plug is the plug that connects to the solenoid that has your wiring connections.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Would it be sensible to get a new hose and put it on and see if that helps? Although my French is rubbish I think I know where I can obtain one? and hopefully can get off the current one.

Please let me know if you still have problems.. otherwise, please take the time to rate my assistance using the stars provided (5 stars is best) at the top of the page, as it is the only way I get credited for responding to you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks. Will get new inlet hose and see shat happens then

Ok... sounds good to me.. Rule out the cheapest first.

Chat soon

regards