Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My washing machine drum is scraping as it drives. Seems only

Customer Question

My washing machine drum is scraping as it drives. Seems only in one spot as the drum turns though. What could it be?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

When you turn the drum is there friction at the point it scrapes?

It sounds to me like this is a bearing issue, have you checked the motor is still square and removed the top to inspect the wiring harness?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It scrapes on just one spot of the drum, presumably the bottom?
I haven't taken anything apart due to not wanting to disturb anything as I'm not really aware of what I'm doing. Is it easy enough to remove the top out to inspect?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Right, I've removed the top and the back. It seems to be scraping in 2 spots from what I can hear as I turn the drum, but cannot see anything obvious to where the scraping is coming from visually.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Sorry for the delay in responding, place you hand on the side as you spin the drum can you feel any vibration to see if its occurring at the side, secondly when you get the drum in a place where it makes contact move it back and forth to see if its binding in both directions.

With the washer unplugged, use your hands on the drum as you rotate it at the back and see if you can feel what is making contact with the drum as it binds, the fact its a cylinder makes me think it is not the drum but a bearing attached to the drum\motor.

The next step would be remove the motor and any pulleys and then spin the drum to see if there is still scraping.

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon, I havent heard back from you I just wanted to follow up to see if you required any further assistance?

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.