JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My washing machine door is jammed and the emergency release

My washing machine door is jammed and the emergency release lever is having no effect. Programme cycle fully complete and no water left in machine. No fault no. indicated. Can you help me work out how to release door so the washing doesn't go mouldy? Thanks.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like the latch has failed on the door. The emergency release just releases the lock, not actuate the latch.

The easiest way is to get some string, tie it around something at each end (to use as handles) then place the string by the catch and pull towards the door hinges, this should force the hinge and let you open the door.

This can be see in practice on the video here.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks very much. Good advice, although we still had to break plastic handle to get at the catch. But yes, door is open, washing is out and I think I can still use the machine.