Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a new plastic handle for my 20 year old whirlpool

I have a new plastic handle for my 20 year old whirlpool chest freezer. How do I remove the old bro***** *****dle from the freezer lid, it appears to have sunken hex. bolts in a counter bored hole. Do I need special tools?.
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Can you post a picture of the fastener head, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry do not have photo equipment.
Alternative solution ?? - can I cut away the old plastic handle to expose fasteners and then use a spanner to remove them?
I propose fitting the new handle with slotted head screwdriver fasteners??Answer this please!!. DChattaway
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Is the top of the screw solid or does it have a star shape in it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screw seems to have a round cylindrical depression in the hexagon head. I have tried Allen keys, they do not work!!.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Look like the one at the link below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
No star shapes.
Looks like a circular drill hole depression.
Outside profile of fastener head seems to be a hexagon. But hole in handle too small for box spanners to enter. Maybe a special tool is used
How about my workaround solution of cutting away old plastic handle, remove fasteners with spanner. Replace new handle with slotted head screwdriver fasteners.??
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sure, you can break the handle away and then replace the screws. Just be careful you don't enlarge the holes when you remove the handle.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your supportRegardsBye - David
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Take care, David, thank you!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!