Kelly
Kelly, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Technician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a new plastic handle for my 20 year old whirlpool

I have a new plastic handle for my 20 year old whirlpool chest freezer. How do I remove the old bro***** *****dle from the freezer lid, it appears to have sunken hex. bolts in a counter bored hole. Do I need special tools?.
Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. Sorry to hear you are having appliance trouble, I know how frustrating that can be! My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Can you post a picture of the fastener head, please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry do not have photo equipment.
Alternative solution ?? - can I cut away the old plastic handle to expose fasteners and then use a spanner to remove them?
I propose fitting the new handle with slotted head screwdriver fasteners??Answer this please!!. DChattaway
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Is the top of the screw solid or does it have a star shape in it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The screw seems to have a round cylindrical depression in the hexagon head. I have tried Allen keys, they do not work!!.
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Look like the one at the link below?

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
No star shapes.
Looks like a circular drill hole depression.
Outside profile of fastener head seems to be a hexagon. But hole in handle too small for box spanners to enter. Maybe a special tool is used
How about my workaround solution of cutting away old plastic handle, remove fasteners with spanner. Replace new handle with slotted head screwdriver fasteners.??
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Sure, you can break the handle away and then replace the screws. Just be careful you don't enlarge the holes when you remove the handle.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your supportRegardsBye - David
Expert:  Kelly replied 10 months ago.

Take care, David, thank you!

I hope I have earned your 5 star rating using the stars at the top of the page! Please let me know if you have additional questions, I am here to help! Thank you so much!