JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I want to convert a chest freezer to a chest fridge, can I

I want to convert a chest freezer to a chest fridge, can I just replace the thermostat with a fridge one?
Thanks for your help,
Will.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Will,

You will probably struggle unless you create a mechanism to absorb condensation.

Freezers are designed to operate at -18 so there is no water just frost, however fridges have alot of condensation and require a way to vent the water, you could potentially just put a few towels at the bottom and replace them every now and again, or drill a few holes through the bottom of the case to let water drain away (if you dont mind a damp floor).

With regard to setting the temp to 5 degress, you are correct changing the thermostat would allow you to do this, I would suggest you by a universal one so you can calibrate to for you model of fridge.

So thought it is possible its not straight forward, please let me know if you need anything clarified.