JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Bosch SMS40A08GB dishwasher recently bought off

Customer Question

I have a Bosch SMS40A08GB dishwasher recently bought off Ebay , but showing an E:09 error code at the end of cycles (have tried 2 different ones). Customer services have suggested a Reset (done) and that it relates to heating. No hot water seems to be produced during the cycle. Is there anything I can do to check what is wrong ?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

The vast majority of the time a E09 would suggest the heating element has failed, unfortunately unlike in washing machines the element isnt sold separately, its integrated into the pump, a replacement element\pump is around £140 from online stores such as here.

In terms of troubleshooting they all require stripping the appliance down to see if the element is open circuit, your getting voltage to the heating element terminals during the cycle, and then checking the thermostat is operational.

Its a rather complex job to get to the heater pump to test it as you have to dismantle the sump. To have an engineer to come out and do this for you, it would cost best part of £50, so your approaching the cost of a new machine when you consider the cost of parts.

Please let me know if you would like me to recommend a engineer in your area to come and replace the heater pump.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm assured the dishwasher was working, so the only thing I can think of is it was transported on its side - if there was water in it, could that have damaged the heating element ? Surely everything is water proof ?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

If the seller didnt make adequate provision to remove water before transport, it would make me wonder if they had fully tested it (and checked the water gets hot, and completes a full circle, rather than running it on a rinse).

The water would be unlikely to have caused damage to the element, it may well be a lose wire \ connection, but again require stripping the unit down to check, but during transport the wire may have come lose.

From experience this fault is most likely to be a faulty element.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I havent heard back from you in the last few days, and just wanted to check if you still require assistance, I would appreciate it if you could rate the service received.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I havent heard back from you in the last day or so, and just wanted to check if you still require assistance, I would appreciate it if you could rate the service received.

James