JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I had defrosted my BUSH BAFZ5585S undercounter freezer and

I had defrosted my BUSH BAFZ5585S undercounter freezer and was moving it across the room to recycle it. Without my noticing, the plug accidentally pierced right through the bottom of the freezer. I didn't notice at the time, and left it in the kitchen overnight. Will it have released dangerous gases of any kind into the kitchen? I don't know if the freezer contained CFC/HFC or other gases. Or if these could be released from the bottom of the freezer. I have four children so am quite concerned. Many thanks.
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

The gases are contained in the pipes which take coolant around the freezer, the pipes dont generally travel under the freezer but come off the compressor at the back inside and up and down the elements you see on the shelves.

If gases have escaped over night they should have dissipated by now anyway, but leaving the door open for an hour would be sufficient to circulate the air.

Based on the spec of Bush freezer you have, the fact the plug at best would only have pieced the bottom of the freezer by a few cm, I do not think you have anything to worry about, but you may find some condensation\water forming under the freezer as you probably have damaged the insulation.

To check if the gas has escaped the quickest way is to turn the freezer on, if it gets cold the gas has not escaped, as it needs to be under pressure for it to cool the freezer, and turning it on is unlikely to to result any more gas being emitted even if there was a leak.

Please let me know if you need anything clarified.

James

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The freezer has now gone to recycling so I can't check.
But I don't think the pipes were damaged - as it was the underneath of the freezer that got pierced.
Are the gases very harmful if do they leak (and does that spec of freezer contain them)?
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

Please give me a few minutes to look up the category of the gas' used on COSHH

Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

I can confirm the freezer doesnt contain CFC/HFC gasses, I am just waiting to find out from my colleague what was used.
The gas used will be classified as poisonous \ harmful, the general rule of thumb is to treat refrigeration gas exposure as if it was Freon.

Moderate exposure (which would be the case in you situation) would give symptoms of

• irritation of the eyes, ears, and throat
  • headache
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • frostbite (if made contact with your skin)
  • cough
  • chemical burn to the skin
  • dizziness
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

The fridge spec provided shows the gas used is R600 (a widely used refrigeration gas), the safety sheet for this product can be found here.

If you suffer from any of the symptoms listed above its suggested you get some fresh air, and contact NHS24 by dialling 111 to obtain medical advise.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance, or anything clarified.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

So I may close the case please rate the service received.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 6 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I havent heard back from you in the last few days, and just wanted to check if you still require assistance, I would appreciate it if you could rate the service received.

James

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Dear *****,
I rated your service with 5 stars immediately after receiving your advice. It seems that it didn't go through, so I have just submitted 5 stars again. Hope it works this time. Any problems, let me know.