JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We have a Professional + FXP range cooker and one of the

We have a Professional + FXP range cooker and one of the burners does not ignite i.e. there appears to be no spark. We have tried changing the small white thing on the burner, but it still doesnt light. Any ideas?
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

I assume the white thing you are referring to is the electrode, which is where the spark is emitted.

If the electrode has been replaced, its worth checking the wiring.

To rule out the spark generator, I would switch over the cables to use a different terminal and check it sparks, if it does then you need to check if the terminals are loose, and potentially replace the spark generator. If there is still no spark when you swap over the electrode cables the fault will be due to the burner not having sufficient earthing for the spark to ground itself, so I would look to clean the burner.

As this is a gas appliance I suggest you use a gas safe engineer to perform these tests.

Please let me know if you need anything clarified.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Who would you recommend in IP26 4LR?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The burner has been scrubbed clean and professionally cleaned, so I'm confident it's not that.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

The engineers in your area are rather expensive, I imagine due to the being in the South East.

Your looking at around £80-83 to have someone come out in labour charges alone.

If your happy its not the burner, then its likely to the spark generator which can be sourced from here for around £42.

Based on labour and parts costs your approaching the cost of a new hob, if you would like to proceed I would recommend you use BHL, who can be contacted on 01842 879585.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I havent heard back from you in the last day or so, and just wanted to check if you still require assistance, I would appreciate it if you could rate the service received.

James