JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Zanussi oven ZOB 330 trips the house rcd sometimes when in

zanussi oven ZOB 330 trips the house rcd sometimes when in use, reset the trip and it carries on working but cant be left as it may trip again. One time when it was reset the heatingelement did not come on but turning the oven off and back on all was ok.
Any ideas please, the element appears ot be in good order, no marks or discolouration.
Regards *****
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Hi Alan,

An RCD trip would suggest an earth leakage fault, this is most commonly attributed to the heating element.

You may find the interior part of the element has started to fail, and as it heats up its resulting in current reaching the outer element case which is grounded.

Does the fault occure only when using the fan over, or the grill?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, The fault is with the fan oven, I have the element out at the moment but shows no fault between element and casing while cold.
when the oven was in use and hot it tripped the rcd butwith the rcd put back on the element carried on as normal for 10 mins before it went again,and could be switched on again.
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

The fact its after 10 minutes would suggest its the element in my view, as the fault is caused by the heating up of the element. Its very difficult to prove these faults, as the short is happening when the element is red hot, but when your looking at £30 for a element its the cheapest and most effective approach to fault finding (swap the part out).

Another way to test its the element is leave the oven on for an hour just on fan (temp set to 0), so the element doesnt come on, if it doesnt trip, then turn the temp to 200 and see if it trips in the next 15 minutes.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I had to rush out for a while, I will try wour suggestion and call when I have a result!
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

How did you get on with the cooker?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi, I followed your instructions and the oven has been running cooking tea with out any problems for 2hrs !
When I reconnected the element I had the oven light on and I got a shock, the voltage to earth was180v, current mains is 250v.,with out a circuit diag. I dont know what`s happening. Any ideas?
Alan
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

There is a power regulator in the control panel.

I wouldnt worry about the voltage to the element, to confirm you have had oven running with the fan element on for 2 hours and its not tripped?

Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I havent heard back from you in the last day or so, and just wanted to check if you still require assistance?

James

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
HI James, for some reason my pc will not let me reply to you, so from an iPad , oven is now working correctly, what I have done to correct it I don't know. THank you for your help and helping me to keep my patience and not go out and buy a new cooker!Regards. Alan Stone
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Glad it is back working again, if the fault does reoccur, I would look to swap out the element.

Sorry to hear your having difficulties with the website.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received so I may close the case.

James

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.