JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a rangemaster fridgefreezer around nine years old and

Customer Question

I have a rangemaster fridgefreezer around nine years old and it has just started to 'missbehave' ! It only disspenses water and ice when it feels like it , and now the fridge side will stop working daily and we have to switch it of at the mains to reset it!
are these common faults, is it worth spending money on it???
thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

The faults are reasonably common, however the combination of faults could make this uneconomical to repair.

Worst case the water\ice dispensing issue will require a new control board, and the fridge require a new thermostat, the parts would be around £150-200, and then your looking at labour costs around £50-80 (depending on your location).

However the fault may be a faulty switch, and the fridge issue ma be resolved by a 36 hour defrost, which would bring the the cost down to £50 in parts and £40-60 labour cost.

I would start by defrosting the fridgefreezer over 24 hours, as there may have become frost\ice lodged in the channel which circulates the cold air from the freezer into the fridge compartment.

Based on experience however, I think your looking at the more pessimistic view to get the appliance repaired, if after a defrost its still not working and would like to have an engineer attend to inspect the unit and give you a more accurate quote please advise me of your post code and I can recommend someone.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
many thanks! will try !
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Just wanted to see how things are looking today?

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.
Do you still require assistance, I haven't heard from you in the last few days?