JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Samsung Larder fridge. The ice maker, although

Customer Question

I have a Samsung Larder fridge. The ice maker, although freezing the ice it isn't tipping the ice into the reservoir. Also under where you place the glass keeps filling up with water.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This sounds like a mechanical fault, the water in the overflow under where you place the glass is most likely caued by a failing valve.

The issue where ice isnt dropping into the container is likely due to the mechanism becoming stuck, a defrost would normally resolve this issue, or failing that a new actuator may be required.

Since there is at least one hardware failure, I would suggest you get an engineer to site to strip down the door where the two components are located, and replace the faulty water valve. and then inspect if the ice mechanism is stuck or actually needs replacing.

If you would like me to recommend a suitable engineer, please advise your post code.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi JamesThank you for that. My postcode is FY2 0RY; please recommend an engineer.CheersAndrew
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Hi Andrew,

I would recommend DAW, we have recommended them in the past and have always had good feedback from the customers who have used them. From looking at the post code they must be just up the road from you which is a bonus.

They charge a £40 call out fee which includes labour repair cost. Its then just the cost of the parts required, which I dont think will be overly expensive.

They can be contacted on 01253 590380

Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.
Do you still require assistance, I haven't heard from you in the last few days?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did as you suggested and the guy from DAW came to look at the fault. He has basically said that the fridge freezer is not worth repairing as the cost of parts would be prohibitive and, as it is about 10 years old we don't know what other problems we might have in the future.
I was a bit disappointed as this information cost me £40, plus the £20 I have paid you. I now have a fridge/freezer that works fine except won't produce ice. I'm maybe not inclined to replace it as everything else works.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

The cost of parts is something which is controlled by Samsung, unfortunately identifying the exact parts which needs replacing is something which can only be done on site, I did my best to rule out something which would have been a wasted visit (in terms of something you could do to self fix), and also found an engineer who offers a very competitive rate.

If you didnt use the service you could have run the risk of calling someone out and it being something you could fix yourself, in this instance once the unit was inspected multiple parts were deemed faulty and this meant it was uneconomical to repair.

I did my best to rule out any unnecessary costs, but you are now in a position to know the fault would be cost prohibitive to repair.

James