JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We have an AEG americanf/f ref141092847521 501710. We have

We have an AEG americanf/f ref141092847521 501710.
We have had it for just under three years but have already had a repair which resulted in a new evaporator battery being fitted.This week we noticed a black stained liquid coming from the bottom and after removing the fridge to check where it was coming from it appears to be dripping from the motor box at the bottom of the fridge.It has a small pipe which has a large blob of putty at the top and this is where the leak is.Please could you advise as to wether this putty should be there and if so what could be the problem.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good evening,

The putty is a standard sealant used to help reduce movement of the pipes and fold evaporator trays etc on to the compressor.

The liquid could be condensation, and getting the staining from the black pain of the compressor, however there is a risk that the coolant gas could be escaping, so I would as a matter of urgency get someone to inspect the appliance. A small leak can easily be repaired, but the re-refrigeration is an irritant so there is an urgency to get someone out sooner than later.

If you would like me to recommend a suitable engineer to come out and inspect the leak, please provide your post code.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your reply. Please could you recommend an engineer and let me know the call out charge.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sorry my post code is bd19 4hd
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

I had a chat with a colleague, and he said it sounds like a overflowing \ cracked evaporation tray, it sounds more likely after re-reading your question, as your suggested its coming from under the motor not where the pipe comes into contact with the compressor.

I have referred customers to WRS in the past and have always had good feedback from the people who use them, they charge £45 call out, but that include the first hours labour. They cant be contacted on 01484 297004