Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have an RSG5UCRS fridge freezer and the ice dispenser

Customer Question

I have an RSG5UCRS fridge freezer and the ice dispenser regularly gets frozen up and stops working. I routinely empty the ice bucket and defrost it, dry it out and then reinstall. The ice then works fine for a day or two, then gets blocked up again. I have removed the ice bucket completely for a few weeks now as it was driving me nutes, but now the actual ice chute is freezing over! Can you help find the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fridge Freezer is Samsung
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** first thing to check is that the actually ice shoot is shutting tight. If there is any leakage of air into the freezer the water contained within the warm air will freeze up the ice maker mechanism and as time goes on get worse as the shoot freezes open and more air get inside.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I have checked the ice chute door and it seems fine and clean - no ice on it either. It is electronically controlled by the freezer, I'm not sure whether it's adjustable but seems to be shutting tight. Any other ideas what could be causing it?

The only other thing here is that there is a heater in the ice maker that switches on during the dump sequence to allow the ice to drop out of the slots. This may be the problem. Best way to check is find the operating button under the ice maker, press it and the icemaker will got into automatic test sequence which includes an ice dump and refill so you should be able to see if there is a problem.