Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Neff C17MS320B combi microwave. Why is this unit fitted with

Customer Question

Neff C17MS320B combi microwave. Why is this unit fitted with undocumented (secret) software that reduces the power from 1000w to 600w after 70 seconds. The user manual says that is can be used at full power for up to 30 minutes but in practice this is not possible. The unit still says it is operating at 1000w on the front panel and the user is not aware of the power reduction except that food is not heated properly.
Is it to disguise the fact that the machine has a design fault which causes premature failure if used for the stated time?
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good afternoon,

I assume you have read this on a forum such as the one here, as such Neff has not made a public statement about this claim.

As such I cant comment if this is indeed the case, but if you feel the unit is not operating as per the spec's in the manual I suggest this is treat as a fault.

If I were to hazard a guess at why the power reduced after a period of time, my guess would be due to a safety feature detecting a build up of heat or current overload, and dropping the power to overcome this.

If you would like to proceed with a service claim, can you confirm the product is under 12 months old?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I didn't read this on the web or any forum. it is the case with the microwave I have. As far a I know I am the first person to discover the issue. I have been in contact with Neff and they have confirmed the software exists and that there is nothing they can do about it, but won't reveal why the software exists (I have asked them specific questions).
It happens every time the unit is used and their engineers do not know why. My unit was replaced with a new one (under warranty as 3 months old) which has the same issue. Buyers of this unit need to be aware that this microwave doesn't, and cannot, work as specified, as they are being deceived by Neff sales. Thought you should be aware as well. Other users are beginning to discover the same issues (ie it doesn't heat food correctly) but do not know why. Neff have refunded the full purchase cost and said I can keep the oven. I think they would like to keep it quiet!
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
nb the post on the forum you refer to is mine
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

I cant not tell you why it would be done, this would be something only the design engineers in Neff could tell you. As I cant answer your question I will opt out.