JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

AEG Santo fluctuating temperature from 5degrees to 10

AEG Santo fluctuating temperature from 5degrees to 10 degrees.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Good morning, this issue could be one of two issues.

Firstly I would look to check the door seals are not damaged, and the door is making good contact all around the fridge when closed, it may be the fridge is cooling, then the cool air is escaping as the door isnt closed properly, or the seal has failed.

If there is an issue with the door seal, I can give you instructions on how to change this, its about a 10 minute job, and not very technical.

Once your happy the door seal is in good order, this only really leaves the the thermostat (which regulates the temperature).

AEG models are often difficult to replace the thermostats on as you have to trace the cable from inside the fridge compartment all the way back to the control panel, for this reason I would suggest you look to get someone out to replace the thermostat.

To give you an idea on cost your looking at about £35 for a thermostat and £70 for a full height door seal, plus about half hours labour\call out charge, which changes massivly depending on your location.

If you would like me to recommend someone to come out please provide your postcode

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. My refrigerator is 4 years old and the seals are all in a good condition. I will have to call on a technician. The fridge is in South Africa. I don't think you would be able to help me here. Regards Cheryl
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

I don't have anyone in South Africa I can recommend I am afraid. Appreciate if you can rate the service received so I may close the case

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Dear *****. Although the technician has not completed the repair yet, it appears that neither of your two suggestions are the cause. It's a stand alone fridge and it's at a holiday house. The tech explained that due to the infrequent opening of the door, there is an ice build up that blocked the flow of cold air. This ice ball can be quite stubborn and the refrigerator needs to be left off for at least 24 hours, after which he will clean the drainage pipes and switch on again. Regards Cheryl
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Hi Cheryl,

I dont believe the engineers suggestion would be the cause of having a significant shift in temperature (5-10 degrees), this would however be more likely to be a thermostat failure.

A blockage in the coolant duct would affect cooling but it wouldnt cause such a variation.

I hope you fridge gets fixed soon.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi James. The engineer replaced the valve and re-gassed the fridge. Says it's working well. Regards Cheryl