Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

Neff k3990x7gb/07 American style fridge freeze - ice

Customer Question

Neff k3990x7gb/07 American style fridge freeze - ice dispenser problem
Hi - this morning, I came down to F/F being off with an alarm (same as 'door open' alarm) chiming continuously. I turned the appliance off for 30mins and then turned back on. All well for 5 mins then 'clunking' noise came from ice dispenser unit. When full, the ice tray rotates and empties into the ice container. It's as if the rotation of the ice tray is fouled and it seems that the repeated attempts to rotate trips the appliance into 'shut down' and also causes the clunking sound.
I have emptied the ice container and emptied the ice making tray. The water dispenser will still work (when the appliance is on briefly before shutting down) and I cannot see any fouling of the ice-tray which would stop it rotating. However, I have not verified the water supply to the ice-tray (not sure how to).
I would be very grateful for any help.
Stuart
Expert:  Michael replied 2 months ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

How old is your fridge freezer?

Also are you sure the clunking sound is coming from the ice maker or down below the fridge?

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Michael,Thanks for responding. I assume that you are UK based and have experience of Neff fridge / freezers?
I am at work at present and won't be back home until about 7pm. However, I can confirm that the appliance is approx. 3yrs old and, yes, the clunking is definitely coming from the ice tray. I have viewed the ice-tray trying to rotate - it does so once/ second for say 10 seconds before shutting down.I wonder whether the clunking / jolting of the ice-tray is a deliberate design feature in order to release frozen ice cubes from the tray as I cannot see any obstruction which would prevent the further rotation of the ice-tray. Note that the large 'screw' within the ice container / dispenser will rotate freely so this is not at issue.After the appliance shuts down, power will 'flicker on intermittently' i.e. the fridge interior light and LED panel on the outside of the freezer door will flicker on and off. I have taken off the access panel at the rear bottom of the fridge and checked the electrical connections and can see nothing lose.If you feel that the diagnosis of this problem is not obvious / curable via this forum, please let me know and I will default to getting a Neff engineer out.
RegardsStuart
Expert:  Michael replied 2 months ago.

Hi, yes it will certainly make that sound when its releasing cubes due to its design;-)

In any case since this may take a while , I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Michael,Thanks for the prompt response. However, I thought the idea was that I give you a rating depending on how satisfactory the resolution is? I appreciate that you want to be credited for your time but I am not going to give anyone a rating until I have a resolution. How do we go from here?
RegardsStuart
Expert:  Michael replied 2 months ago.

Hi, first of all, I have been a hands on technician in the appliance feild for over 30 years, and yes they will make noise when they release ice;-)

But if the ice maker sounds bad, (worse than it normally sounded) I would replace it.

That is super easy to do, just a few 1/4 inch hex head screws that hold it to the inside wall, and one plug in clip for power and signal.

The best place to get that new ice make or if you are really worried about it or are having issue with the way it is operating is: http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/

But I would call them to be sure they send you the correct one for your fridge freezer, as there are many of these models;-)

Please call Ransom Spares if you want to replace your ice maker: 0844(###) ###-####

The reason for the rating request is once you do that, you have free access to me for 30 full days;-)

Also there is no additional cost to rate kindly.

Its the only way I am compensated for being an expert here for 10 years + and this is my livelihood,we really are experts here, and you wouldn't believe what we go through to prove that everyday.

It matters to me that you are satisfied, but sometimes if not rated, I can lose the question or we can be come disconnected.

Hopefully that helps you understand?

Im here to help is all, and I want you to be satisfied fully, I take a lot of pride in my work here as do most others that work for Just Answer, we provide the highest standard of assistance in so many fields.

Please rate kindly.

Sincerely

Tech Michael