JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

How do I permanently handle the pink in my dishwasher?

how do I permanently handle the pink slime in my dishwasher ?
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

Where are you seeing the pink slime within the dishwasher is it in the corners or in the filter?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
In the corners
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It happens on level surfaces inside the machine also
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

The pink slime sounds like its a deposit from your soap, what dishwasher soap are you using, can you also advise if you use rinse aid and the in built water softener (which takes salt)?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I use Delphis ECO dishwasher liquid and Delphis ECO rinse aid and put salt in the built-in softener.
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

What colour is the dishwasher soap and rinse aid?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They are both clear fluids, with no particular colour
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

This is a strange one, as there isnt anything in the dishwasher which would cause a pink colour.

I would start by cleaning the sludge from the dishwasher, and remove the filter and give that a good clean.

Run the dishwasher on an intensive wash without any soap, and see if there is signs of the sludge reappearing.

My guess is the sludge is residue from soap which hasnt washed away, which would suggest your using to much soap, it may be worth reducing the amount of soap, and also turning down the water softener, since it suggests your already in a soft water area.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK. I had heard that the pink slime adapts itself to the soap being used, so persists, and it helps to change the brand of soap every now and then to catch the slime out. I am going to do that. Otherwise I'll give the inside of the machine a good hands-on clean more often. What do you think ?
Expert:  JamesI replied 10 months ago.

That sounds like your best option, but running the machine without soap a few time should clear any residue \ build up.

James

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok James, thank you for your input.Regards,
Rufus