Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Tx-p50xt50b will not turn on after being disconnected for

Customer Question

tx-p50xt50b will not turn on after being disconnected for only a few hours
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: a panasonic tx-p50xt50b was working fine. The electrician came to replace some wall switches from one colour to another. Before he started, I switched the wall socket off at the mains where the power strip that the tv was plugged into was. Now the electrician has gone and I turned everything back on
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Can you confirm other items plugged into the power strip are working (power is getting to the power strip\extension)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I swapped the light with the tv on the same power strip - the light comes on. The tv does not.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can tell already this is going to end up with you telling me to take the tv in and get the power supply unit replaced.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Ok, next thing to check is that you havent pulled the power cable out of the back of the TV, it may have come loose when you were reaching round to unplug the TV.

I dont think it is the power supply, not if you had disconnected the TV before you had electrical works done.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Agreed - but it appears that others on the internet have had a similar problem and ended up getting the PSU replaced.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Most Panasonic power boards I have seen show a flashing light when you try and turn them on, when the unit is totally dead, its more often than not the extension lead, the fuse in the plug, or the fuse within the power board.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was thinking that perhaps you knew of a power up sequence that would get the tv up and running.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

The only thing this model has is a power drain feature, where you can hold your finger on the power button while its unplugged for 60 seconds, then plug it back in, however I dont think this will help in your situation.

Do you have a spare TV power lead you can try?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
trying the power drain feature now....
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the power drain did not work. I doubt the power lead need to be replaced as it was not often moved and there is no kink in the cable.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Its ruling out the fuse has blown more than anything

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok - just seems from the info on the internet that this is a known problem.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Certainly I havent come across a unit which has become completely dead when powering it on at the wall (I have heard it happening, but wouldnt say its common).

With the Panasonics they are normally rather fault tolerant compared to Toshiba and other brands.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok thanks.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

If you find a spare mains power lead, or swap the fuse int he plug and it still doesnt fix it, then the next step would be to get the machine into a service centre to be looked at, within a few minutes with a multi meter they can tell you if its the power board.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK thank you.