George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

My AEG built in cooker Type 91 AHA 01 GD (B1180-4-W) gets to

My AEG built in cooker Type 91 AHA 01 GD (B1180-4-W) gets to temperature OK but then the light inside the oven goes out and even if I turn up the temperature both the this light and the light to indicate heating stays off. I suspected that the cooling fan was not functioning. On inspection the cooling fan was not going round but it was not powered up. I assume it it connected to some kind of inline thermistor. On inspection this part showed signs of overheating and when I took the plastic sleeve off one of the wires had fallen off.
Is this a thermistor and if so where do I get a new one, most of the spares site do not list them.
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 10 months ago.

Hello Peter, firstly can you indicate the PNC (Product code) of the appliance.. ?

Second, can you possibly post an image of your described inline thermistor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi George, The PNC code is 944 185 041I attache a photo showing the outer casing of what I think is a thermistor. It has 4 wires 2 blue and 2 white, when I took the sleeve off which showed signs of heat damage, the inside components fell apart, the bottom of the photograph shows one of these parts.

Thanks for the detail and description..

I am currently trying to identify the item from the documents I have.

Can you tell me; the wires that were connected to the item went to where?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will come back to you.

Did the object that fell apart originally look like this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No, the part is an online part. IT has 4 wires, 2 blue 2 white
I attach a photo image 1026
This shows one half of the innards of the inline part, as you can see it has been damaged. It is about 13mm long. The 2 blue wires, one connects to the cooling fan motor and I think the other connects to the control board.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Correction, the blue wires goes to the cooling fan motor and the selector switch on the front of the oven.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
image 1028 shows the connection of the two white wires which goes to the other side of the selection switch and the control board

Is this it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Bingo, that is the part. What is its function?
Can you let me have a UK part number please

That is the Fan Motor Thermal Cut-out.. Its purpose is to control the cooling fan..

The part number for it is(###) ###-####and you can purchase it from the following link:

Fan Motor Thermal Cut-out(###) ###-####/a>

Please remember to rate my assistance with an appropriate level (5 is highest)

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your help. Is it likely that its failure was caused by say the fan not working correctly. Should I try connecting the fans to the mains and see it it runs?

You could do.. but first use a multimeter to ensure that the fan is not short circuited

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
What resistance am I looking for?

Any resistance above 1.00 should allow you to safely test the fan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The cooling fan motor measures approx 200ohm so thats does not look like a short?I do not understand your charging methods, I do not want to pay a monthly fee, I just wanted this one problem sorting.

I don't charge you... Once you have rated me that is the end.. Just don't accept any of the other offers that are sent to you if you do not want them.

You should be able to test the fan with power if you have 200ohms.. Let me know how you get on.

How did the power test go?