Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We have a Samsung American fridge freezer RSH1DBMH. For the

We have a Samsung American fridge freezer RSH1DBMH. For the last 3 months the temperature fluctuates between 2% and 7% and now its staying on 7% constantly and we cannot change the temperature with the reset button.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Is the fridge still cooling ok?

Has the fridge section started to get noisy when running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiThe fridge is on 7 degrees so its not cooling and as a fridge temperature should be around 2 degrees we are concerned.No it is not any noisier.Regards
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

The most common cause of this fault on these is the fridge evaporator ices up to much and this causes the fridge to go warmer just like its doing now.

What you need to do if fixing it yourself is empty the fridge section fully.

From there you need to remove the plastic cover in the fridge at the back in the bottom have.

You will need to remove the water bottle (if fitted) and there will be 2 screws at the bottom of the panel.

Then remove the vent cover on the panel and theres another screw in there either side.

Then you can remove the cover ad disconnect the fan wiring. Now if its iced up it can be stiff to remove due to the ice.

Once you have removed the panel you will see the evaporator. If this is all iced up use a hairdyer and melt it all.

Then make sure theres no ice in the panel as well blocking the fan up.

Then refit the panel and retry the appliance and that should get it going again from there.

But if you dont want to go removing panels then you need to fully defrost it. Turn the appliance off for 24 hours and leave the fridge door open and this will defrost itself from there.

Then after 24 hours turn it on and then you will be able to set the corect temperture in there and it should start to work again.

Try that and see how it goes and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you.We will just try this and let you know.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries thats fine.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have done as instructed and the only ice found was on the freezer sensor.We have removed the ice from the sensor and plugged the two multi pins back in screwed the panel back on and switched the fridge on and now the fridge and freezer is not working at all.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Freezer sensor?

Did you remove the panel in the freezer or the fridge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry its was the fridge sensor, we removed the panel in the fridge
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok so there was not ice at all on the silver evaporator at all was there?

Was there any slight frosting all the way around the evaporator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The freezer is working now. There was only condensation on the evaporator. I think the fan is not working on the fridge. Five years ago when the unit was under warranty the engineer came out and replaced the whole back panel. Does this make sense to you? If the fridge is at 16degrees should the fan be working?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you got my last question?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about the delay just had to rebook laptop as crashed on me.

The fix you had done five years ago is for the evaporator over freezeing as they do a modification on it which was the back panel that you had done.

But as to the fan that should be running when the compressor is running as it circulataes the air around. But i dont think this will be the issue as even if that was faulty you should have still had frosting on the evaporator as it has frost over for it to get cold.

One thing to can try if you can is keep the back cover off inside the fridge and as its working know just see how it goes over an hour and see if the evaporator starts to frost over. As if it isnt then its usually down to a system fault as the compressor may not be pumping the gas around the system fully in order for the fridge section to get cold.

So check that over an hour or so and see what you find and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Thanks
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries