JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a DIF04 dishwasher which was working well until I got

I have a DIF04 dishwasher which was working well until I got the water supply to our kitchen excluded from the house's softened water system, so that we now have mains supply water for the dishwasher etc. We live in a hard water area, recommended setting 3. I thought that since we no longer have softened water I should change the water hardness setting, which I did. It was fine for a few washes but then developed white deposits. I tried re-setting the water hardness to number 4. Again, fine for 3-4 washes but then returned to dreadful white coating which I get rid of by running the cycle again with vinegar. And so it goes on. The salt and rinse aid have been checked and are fine. I would be grateful for your advice. With thanks, Cath
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cath, the white deposits sound like salt or soap sudds which are leaving the deposits.

I am not convinced its the softener at fault here, but the quicket thing to do is stop the dishwasher on a rinse cycle collect some water and use one of the water testing kits to see if the water is hard or not. That then gives you a base level to work from and determine if the dishwasher is actually softening the water.

You should have had a test kit which came with the softener, if not you can buy a very good kit here from tool station which should be a local shop to you.

Once we know if the water is hard or soft we can then troubleshoot further.

James

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear *****, did you receive my reply as I haven't heard back from you?
The deposit is limescale, not soap and as regards ***** ***** it gives no indication of the wash or rinse cycles. As I mentioned, the house's water softener has now been disconnected for the kitchen where the dishwasher is, and the water from the mains is definitely hard - therefore the water going into the dishwasher is hard.
Thanks,
Cath
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cath, no I havent seen a reply since my response at 9:40 on 26/09.

Can you re-post it here, and ill see how I can assist.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dear *****, The deposit is limescale, not soap and as regards ***** ***** it gives no indication of the wash or rinse cycles. The water entering the dishwasher is from the mains, hard (as I mentioned, the house's water softener has now been disconnected for the kitchen where the dishwasher is).
Thanks,
Cath
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Hi Cath sorry for the delay in responding.

The rinse cycle is called 'soak' on your model it looks like a dish with a line through it.

Soak is the third program from the left (just before the 50 degree eco program).

Test the water and if its showing as hard then it would prove the inbuilt water softener is not working.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Okay. So I start the dishwasher on that third programme and when I hear water inside I open it up and take a sample?
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Yes this is correct, if the water shows as being hard this shows the softener within the dish washer isnt working.

Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Good morning, I havent heard back from you, do you still require assistance?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will take the action you suggest and will probably have to call a repair man. Thanks for your help.
Cath
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

No problem, if you provide me with your postcode I can recommend someone in your area.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My postcode is SN13 0HZ
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Good evening,

I would suggest Bath Wash Co on 01225 429127, I just gave them a quick call they charge £45 plus parts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you James.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Appreciate if you can rate the service received, many thanks

James