Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

We have a Hoover HF7 hob that will not light. It's been

Customer Question

We have a Hoover HF7 hob that will not light. It's been working after installation but has just stopped. The ignition is firing and we can hear the small fans spinning but I don't think any gas is coming through (gas supply is fine, boiler working etc.)
Expert:  JamesI replied 12 months ago.

Good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist with your query today.

Expert:  JamesI replied 12 months ago.

Can you confirm if the fault is on all burners or just one, and if you can smell gas after holding down the knob for 10 seconds?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
All burners - no smell of gas...
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Tried lighting with a match - no joy...
Expert:  JamesI replied 12 months ago.

The most likely cause the burner is not correctly positioned or is wet.

Remove all the burners inspect them, make sure they are dry

Refit the burners, then try each one again in turn.

If that does work, find a lighter or match hold the flame next to the small burner and try and turn the knob on full heat and hold it down, and see if you can light the burner with the flame from the match\lighter.

Expert:  JamesI replied 12 months ago.

If it still doesnt light try it on the other 3 burners, but please use caution so not to burn yourself, as the burners should light quickly.

Should none of the burners light this would suggest a gas fault, since holding a flame next to the burner bypasses the spark generator.

The last time it was previously working (eg yesterday), did you have a spillage or something boil over, as its looking like either all the jets have become blocked or the valve has failed.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No sign of any water and burners are fitted correctly. A pan did boil over slightly but that was 4 days ago...
Expert:  JamesI replied 12 months ago.

Its unusual for all four burners to be affected, especially days later.

The last thing I can suggest as a consumer, would be to remove the burners again, and poke some wire into the jets located under the burners, and give it a good poke about. I recommend using something like a paper clip, turn on the jets (one at a time) and see if you can feel the gas rush out with your finger.

Replace the burners, and try and light them again, if this doesnt work you will need a fast safe engineer to attend and strip the hob down, I dont think its anything mechanical failing if you can hear gas, and the sparking, its most likely just too little throughput of gas.

Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Good evening, I havent heard back from you in the last few days, do you still require assistance?

Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Good morning, I havent heard back from you in the last few days, do you still require assistance?