Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Zanussi Compact Table-top Dishwasher which has

I have a Zanussi Compact Table-top Dishwasher which has worked perfectly for the last 18 months. For no apparent reason, suddenly the dishes do not come out clean at the finish of whatever wash programme I select. In addition there are smears and like a fine dust coating to the touch. Also, occasionally the dishwasher tablet has not exited the little compartment although the little trap door is open. Any advice you could give me to remedy this and get back to normal would be much appreciated.
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.

Can you post the model number please.

Also does it seem to get hot during the wash and dry setting?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Daniel.Thanks for your message. The model number of my Zanussi Compact dishwasher is ZSF 2440. Yes, it heats up during the washing cycle as per normal.Many thanks. Gerald
Expert:  Daniel replied 11 months ago.

Ok if its heating up ok then it rules out a heating fault.

What you need to do here is remove the bottom basket and from there you can access the lower spray arm. Remove this and you then need to give it a good clean out. Make sure all the holes in there are clear. If blocked you need to poke something in there to clear the holes. As if they get blocked it knocks the balance out of the arm and it stops it from spining round and when this happens you get poor wash results and it can stop dissovling the table as the spray arm sparys the water into the dispener to dissolve the tablet.

So try that first and see what happens and let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Daniel. You've nailed it! There was a surprising (to me) amount of various debris inside the arm, rattling about and some of the holes were blocked. Not easy to get it all out - it required lots of shaking and rinsing because the arm doesn't actually come apart. But having thoroughly cleaned it, the machine is now back to its normal, efficient self. I shall check the arm regularly in future to ensure it stays clean and the holes stay clear. Many thanks for your help. I am most gratefull. Best wishes, Gerald.