Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Hotpoint WM63 Washing Machine which is in lovely

I have a Hotpoint WM63 Washing Machine which is in lovely condition and has been totally reliable, but now its making a dreadful noise on the fast spin cycle.
When it goes into the faster spin or rinse cycle towards the end of the programme, the drum picks up speed and there is a loud clunking noise coming from the drum area, that's like a hammering sound.
The sound gets faster as the drum speeds up until its unbearably loud and you have to switch the m/c off or move the control onto the stop point.
I cant hear anything untoward when I move the drum round manually with the door open.
Are there any spring supports or other bearing to hold the drum in position which could have failed?
Expert:  Michael replied 1 year ago.

Hi Thank you for that information and a great description of the issue that always helps lol.

This is one where the tub bearings are bad. It s a pretty in depth task to do. So in this case I would recommend an appliance technician(engineer) for this job. Its definitely worth the cost for sure;-)

It wont be too much and they are well versed in this type of repair so it will be easy for them

to do. On the other hand if you are really handy and have the tools I can help you with the best place to get the parts and would talk you thought the entire repair.

Please let me know?

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello MIcheal,
As the m/c is so old, we have decided to cut our loses and buy a new one! The bearings were probably gone and the m/c wasn't particularly energy efficient so time to change it out...its done well for 14-years!
Thankps for your help.
Regards.
Peter