carlday1
carlday1, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have 5 years experience in repairing and maintaining small domestic appliances.
69505510

We have an 8 year old zj1218 jetsystem washer.

We have an 8 year old zj1218 jetsystem washer. Temperamental. Had a bloke round who says the brushes cannot be changed, have to buy a whole new motor circa £150 plus labour (paid already 70). Is it true they can't be changed independently of the motor, is it likely to be worth it?
Machine worked for 4 loads after being taken apart but now showing same problem.
Is it brushes?
Symptoms: cycle starts, water comes in and then nothing.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. I have checked and unfortunately the brushes cannot be changed on the motor and you will need a new motor and it is over £150 for the motor alone. I suspect you would end up paying over £200 to get the machine repaired.

Could you try and put the machine on a spin and let me know if it spins?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have tried spinning it and it doesn't work.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

I am afraid to say it does sound like the motor. I think the best solution would be to look at a new machine. I am sorry to have to say it but the cost of replacing the motor I think makes the washer beyond economical repair.

If you were to replace the motor you could find in a few months time something else breaks down on the machine and it could end up costing you a lot of money.