JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I've an hc60 ng relay and a Hcw80 wireless thermostat. Were

Customer Question

Hi, I've an hc60 ng relay and a Hcw80 wireless thermostat. Were installed 8 or 9 years ago and never had a problem until now ... Hot water only works fine but when I turned the heating on, nothing happened. The relay box doesn't show any lights. I've tried doing the factory reset as in the manual but all that happens is, when I turn up the thermostat, the green light comes on for a split second, everything seems to fire up and the. Almost immediately clicks off again. Any ideas how I might solve this, please?
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

The fault most certainly lies with the thermostat not your boiler, it sounds like the control board in the thermostat has failed.

I would think based on this fault, its the HCW80 which is the problem and needs replacing, instructions for removing it can be found here (its reverse to installing it). You can buy a replacement HCW80 unit here for around £60.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi James, thanks for getting back to me. Do you mean I should replace the wireless box, HCW80 or the box fixed to the wall, HC60NG? Or both? Wireless is easy, I won't need to call in a Sparks for that, but I'm not planning to attempt replacing the HC60NG myself!
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

No the HC60NG is unlikely to be at fault, as its receiving the HW commands, so it should just be the transmitter not the relay.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, I shall get a new HCW80 and try it out! Thank you for your help, will rate you excellent if it works! - please give me a few days to get the HCW80. Kind regards, Jenny
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

No problem Jenny, if it doesnt please come back to me, but from what you have described it should fix the fault.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi James, new HCW80 came today, I've linked it in BUT am still getting the same problem. The HN60ng powers up briefly then switches off, even when I have the thermostat set to 30(and it's not that warm in the house). What now?