George-Allsorts
George-Allsorts, Senior Appliance Technicial Manager
Experience:  A whitegoods technician with 30+ years service in Domestic Appliance Service & Repair, and General Mechanical & Electrical Repair
19471162

I have a Hotpoint fridge/freezer.. (about 2 years old) RFAA

Hi! I have a Hotpoint fridge/freezer.. (about 2 years old) RFAA 52 P ,,,,and it smells absolutely awful the last few days (when door open). I wiggles the green stick thing at the back of the fridge but doesn't appear to be blocked and no pools of water forming in the fridge anywhere,,, what is the problem please,,the smell is driving the family crazy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
p.s i poured a bit of bleach down the back drain hole but it hasn't helped at all! We can't stand this smell any longer,, please help!
Expert:  George-Allsorts replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked the tray on the top of the motor/compressor round the rear of the appliance?

These trays fill up with water sometimes and any waste that is in the water rots and causes the smell

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't know there was a tray at the rear! Im here in the house on my own at the moment and i can't move it with my bad back but when my partner is back he can move it (it's a big heavy thing) and we'll see what we can see. where is the tray located,,behind the fridge or the freezer , is it obvious?!!

When you turn the appliance around so that you are looking at the rear of the appliance, the compressor is at the bottom and is a large domed black metal object in most cases. The tray you are looking for is on the top of that compressor.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks ,,, will check later today and fingers crossed problem will be resolved,,, can't stand this smell much longer, nothing masks it!!

Let me know what you find so that we can take this a little further... If I am not about, leave me a message.