Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

My Bosch fridge/freezer is collecting ice where the bottom

Customer Question

Hi, my Bosch fridge/freezer is collecting ice where the bottom freezer drawer is. I've had to remove this drawer because there is so much ice there. This is also causing the freezer to leak onto the floor. I've now defrosted the whole thing, but can't clean any condensation hole at the back, because there is a back panel fitted inside the freezer. Is this meant to come out? If so, how? Thanks.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Can you please advise of the model of Bosch freezer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks. The model is: KGU3220GB and the serial number is: FD 8012 102329
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Is there a E-NR on the rating plate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there is
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Could you provide the E-NR number please, I am having issues locating the unit with the supplied model number.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the number I gave you above.E NR KGU3220GB/01 FD 8012 102329These are the only numbers I can find. Hope that helps
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately I cant find the details for your product online, I will opt out in favour of another expert who may be able to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I decided this morning to get it going again (I can always try and fix the leak problem once I have your advice). In getting it going, the alarm keeps ringing every time it reaches a lower temperature. I just keep silencing the alarm. Is this normal? It seems that the device is cooling down properly.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

What this will be is a blocked drain hole inside the freezer. So as that is blocked then the defrost water cannot drain out so it over flows and leaks out to under the bottom basket and then out the door like its doing.

What you need to do is either empty the freezer and from there you need to remove the plastic back panel inside the freezer.

Theres 2 panels so you need to remove both and behind there you will see the evaporator.

Under this is the drain gutter. It will be cover in ice so you need to melt all the ice in there.

Then in the middle you will see the drain hole. Pore boiling water in there and melt the ice. Poke something in there to clear it as well.

Once clear pore water in there and just check it can drain out.

Then refit the covers and thats it job done.

Or if you dont want to go removing panels then you need to empty the freezer and and turn it off for 24 hours and leave the freezer door open and this will defrost the ice in there itself.

Try that and you will find this will cure it. This is a very common fault on frost free appliances as i see it alot. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. My main problem was that I couldn't remove the back panel of the freezer - there are no visible screws and it wouldn't come out. I therefore couldn't get anywhere near the drain hole to unblock it. I did let the freezer thaw over 24 hours, but I wanted to check there was no debris in the drain hole which might be the problem. The reason I got in touch with you is because I can't move the panel. Is it through the back of the freezer, do you think?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

If you look at the back panel in the freezer at the top is a smaller cover. This pulls off as its just clipped on.

Behind there you will see 2 screws. Remove them and then you can remove the back panel from there.

Or another way if you have defrosted it and just want to make sure the hole is clear then go round the back of the appliance and at the bottom you will see the compressror.

On top of that is the drip tray.

Feel in there just above the drip tray and under there you feel the drain hole.

Get something like a cable tie thats long and thin and flexible and push it up there. If it goes through fine then its all clear in the drain hole and will be fine.

Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Just wondering how you got on with the freezer?

Did you manage to get the back panel off and clear the drain hole?