JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Came home from a 3-week vacation, fridge found to be room

Came home from a 3-week vacation, fridge found to be room temp (above 10 deg C). Thermostat setting had not been accidentally changed (we had a red line drawn on the knob at around 4.5 which has proved to be correct for several years).
Rotating the thermostat back and forth did not produce on/off action nor any click sound.
New thermostat ordered.
Meanwhile, messing with thermostat settings did result in fridge motor starting. Fridge began cooling, going well below 4 deg C. But temp control was erratic and appeared to be not dependent on the setting.
New thermostat arrived and fitted, but temp control continues to be erratic and not dependent on the setting.
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

This is most likely to be due to a faulty control board, as thats responsible for processing the input from the thermostat and then calling the compressor to start when it needs coolant.

If you can advise me of the model number I can locate the PCB for you, if you do chose to replace the PCB please ensure you order a pre-programmed one.

James

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's an Indesit GSE 160IUK, so I'm guessing the control board is part of something else. I suspect it'll be cheaper to buy a new fridge.
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Hi Chris,

I had a look online and I cant see any of the usual firms offering a replacement control board \ PCB, however they normally cost around £100.

I would be inclined to replace the fridge rather than fix it, since you are now on a slippery slope of paying good money after bad as new faults develop.

Should you want me to recommend an engineer in your area to come out and repair it please provide your postcode.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance, appreciate if you can rate the service received to date.

James

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was pretty sure this would be the conclusion, once I realised that the thermostat was not the culprit. There's lots of bargains out there so it's time to go shopping. Meanwhile it is more or less holding 4 deg C so I'll just keep an eye on it, until it becomes completely useless.Thanks for your time and input.