JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Our Miele double fridge freezer keeps beeping sporadically

Our Miele double fridge freezer keeps beeping sporadically for n reason even though the door isn't open, it has turned itself off on the freezer part only twice in the last month and seems hotter than usual at the back. We bought it in 2008 - can it b repaired or should we replace?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Good evening, my name is ***** ***** I will assist with your query.

Could you please advise the model of the Miele fridge.

There are a number of reasons it may be beeping from a sensor failure , through to it not being cold enough.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I can't find any details on the model, a sticker on the back has
R 600a CN 3313-20k written on it?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

This type of fault is most likely caused by a coolant fault. The most common component to cause such a fault is the thermostat\temp sensor, which is telling the freezer its not cold enough.

The beeping is often a sign the freezer thinks its not cold enough, which may be why you have noticed a build up of heat in the back and as the compressor is working harder to cool the freezer more.

To prove this start by checking the freezer temp, if its alot colder than normal eg -22, then I would look to get a new thermostat which costs around £30 in parts, however if the freezer is warmer than -15 it suggests its a control board fault and probably would be uneconomical to repair, providing you have proven the door is closing properly and the seal is not damaged.

If you would like me to recommend and engineer to attend to replace the thermostat please provide your postcode.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have turned the freezer back on and within a few minutes the temp for the freezer is -18 and possibly climbing which indicates it's a thermostat problem. How much will it cost to send an engineer?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Please see pics of back of fridge, the white tray box is full of water
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

The water is just the defrosted ice and nothing to worry about.

Costs for a engineer to attend can be anything for 30 to 100s depending on your postcode, the further away from London the cheaper it is to get someone to attend, if you provide me your town or postcode I can recommend someone to come out to you.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Good evening, I havent heard from you in a while, do you still require assistance?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can you tell me where the thermostat is located?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

The thermostat is normally located in the same void as the light\lamp housing, and has a wire which goes back to the control board located behind the display panel at the top.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We can't find it, please see pics below and advise where we should look?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

On image IMG_0703.JPG there is a white wire hanging down with a white blob on the end, this looks like it could be the temp sensor for the fridge as there is a second white cable which goes down the right hand side which I imagine is the freezer sensor, and looks similar to this spare here.

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We've retraced the sensor white cable back to the board, see pic, but doesn't seem to come out - can we cut the white cable be cut and new line joined to it via a junction box?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Good evening sorry about the delay, I didnt see your response last night.

Have you tried pushing the plastic behind the plug backwards to remove the lugs and then pulling the socket out to the right?

If this doesnt work then you can do as you say cut the cable and then re-terminate using a terminal block but thats less than ideal.

James