JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I wonder can you help me? Ihave an LG MODEL 42LG 7000ZA tv

Customer Question

I wonder can you help me?
Ihave an LG MODEL 42LG 7000ZA tv
It was only used for playstation before fine and just decided to use this for tv viewing on virgin.
It was not picking this up but was and is still ok on the other Tv currently being used.
i did auto tuning but still no luck changed scarts around and the hdmi leads to each port but still no luck.
I then done factory restore and all i get when i turn Tv on is the screen flashing a few times and then blank white screen. the playstation is not being picked up now at all.
Please can you advise very confused.
Many Thanks
John
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Hi John,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist with your query today.

Auto tune will only discover terrestrial channels, so anything connected by HDMI or SCART would be unaffected by auto tune.

It sounds to me the HDMI \ SCART sockets may be lose, I wouldnt worry about the flickering of the TV when it turns on, its most likely scanning through the different sources (terrestrial, HDMI, SCART etc to find a signal).

You may find the manual useful which can be found at the bottom of the page here.

With regard to troubleshooting to get this working again, have you tried using both SCART and all 4 HDMI ports (including the one of the side of the TV) to connect the playstation?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi James
I have tried all leads to the other hdmi ports and scart to the two ports lots of times. no luck
the tv does not have no lg logo coming up and cannot find the cable or playstation in any ports.
this has gone wrong since factory reset was used?
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

Its unlikely the factory reset caused the fault, I am wondering if when you moved it to plug in the virgin HDMI if something shorted out, and the fault wasnt realised until the TV was switched off and back on as part of the factory reset.

I take it when you press the volume up or source button on the side of the TV, you dont get any response (see anything shown on the display)

This doesnt sound like a software fault but a hardware one, if you provide me with your postcode i can recommend a suitable service centre in your area.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi James
The Tv worked on the playstation fine when moved it is the factory reset since applied that has blocked all devices working.
i am not an engineer but it was working fine before.
if there was a short wouldnt have thought nthis would come on.
John
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

If there is a short on the AV side of the board, it would give a fault, as the main board will turn the TV on but the faulty input would then cause a problem for the signal processor.

If the factory reset has corrupted the ROM chip (which is the other possibility) this too would require a replacement control board, as you cant re-flash the ROM chips with the software once they become corrupt.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
hi james
this all sounds like one thing or another but i am no better off after this, not happy paying money and going no where or fault trial or help i could have just downloaded the manual and tried what i have already done previous.
Yes you have said it could be this or that, but i am not happy paying money out for no gain still no better off or wiser
please advise.
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

The advise is to take the unit into a service centre as your TV has a hardware fault, this is not something you can repair yourself. If you do not wish to provide your postcode for me to recommend a service centre there is very little I can offer you over and above this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great
postcode is ig1 3jr
Expert:  JamesI replied 2 months ago.

I would suggest you use Armstrong Video Services on*********** who are within 5 miles of your postcode.

They charge a £30 fee to inspect the TV, find the exact fault (but they think it requires a new main board). If you drop it off today, they should get back to you by tomorrow afternoon.

To have the TV repaired they estimate it would cost in total £100 including the inspection fee.

James