JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

WE HAVEW BLANCO GUTMANN ISLAND EXTRACTOR HOOD, WITH EXTERNAL

WE HAVEW BLANCO GUTMANN ISLAND EXTRACTOR HOOD, WITH EXTERNAL MOTOR ON THE FLAT ROOF, THE EXTRACTOR FAN IS MAKING NOISE WHEN SWITCHE DON AND THE FAN IS NOT WORKING. CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE REASON FOR THIS AND HOW IT CAN BE SOLVED. DO WE NEED BLANCO GUTMANNS ENGINEERS?
WOULD APPRECIATE FOR RECOMMENDED TECHNICIAN,
THANKING YOU
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist with your query.

Firstly do you know the model of extractor, secondly can you advise the age of extractor.

The most likely cause is the fan has seized or failed in some way and the noise your hearing is the motor, is the noise a high pitched noise, if not can you describe it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
campo isle hood, muhlaker TYP51900A, mahlaker 77 7547. Auftrags nr B271378, (sorry in german).don't know the xternal motor mode number.the extractorinalled 7years ago. yes, it Is medium pitched humming noise.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

This does sound like a motor failure or a transformer\power board failure.

Are the lights on the extractor working?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the lights are working, hence not power board failure. how can you check the motor malfunction.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

In order to check the motor you need to strip the extractor and then place a multi meter on the two terminals of the motor and check they are getting 240V.

If not power is going to the motor this points back to the control board, and probably an issue with the power regulator.

With regard to calling out an engineer if your not confident with a multi meter its best to call out an engineer, if you provide your postcode I can recommend someone in your area.

James

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my post code IG4 5HP,Would the engineer be abl;e to check fan and motor functions, and if necessary fix the problem?
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Yes, in most case the engineer will be able to identify the fault and then give you a quote for either replacing the component or fixing it such as reattaching a lose wire etc.

Please give me a few minutes while I look up the engineers in your area.

Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Sorry for the delay, I would recommend Robinson Repairs on 07958 463632. The engineer is a local guy, and has very good track record for getting units working again, and is very reasonably priced, he thinks it would cost around £50 to come out and repair the unit including parts.

James

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
thank you very much for your help. can I revert back o your good self if I have problems.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i would assume you have talked to them about the occurring problem
.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have ttexted robinson repairs and as per your quote, but they are saying£ £50 includes call out and labour not parts,
can you please clarify this with them and confirm to myself please.
Expert:  JamesI replied 5 months ago.

Apologies there was a breakdown in communication, the £50 call out covers fixing any parts eg freeing a motor, re-attaching wires, but not replacing a PCB or motor. Without the part number its hard to give you a cost for replacement parts, however the motor and PCB are both rather expensive parts (£100+), and the age may also make it difficult to source parts.

I have also called a few other repair firms and they are quoting £82 just in labour, based on the age of the unit and cost of labour it may be worth considering replacing the extractor.

However if you wish to have it repaired I would still recommend RR.