JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I've got a Zanussi ZKG7165 washer/dryer. It has just

Hi, I've got a Zanussi ZKG7165 washer/dryer. It has just completed a wash & dry but is now dead - no lights on the console, no response to any knobs or buttons. The filter was rather dirty, so I've cleaned that out. The power and fuse are both fine. I've taken the top off and the PCB and all connections look OK (no loose wires, dirt, scorch marks etc). I suspect it is the PCB, but would welcome any suggestions. For example, is there an emergency cut-out that might have been triggered by the dirty filter, and will reset after a period of time (a similar thing happened a couple of weeks ago)? Are there any tell-tale signs to look for?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: What more do you need?
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist with your query today.

If your confident the socket and plug fuse are ok, and your getting power to the appliance, start by checking with a multi meter if your getting power to the switch, since if the switch is faulty this would cause the fault. If the switch is working and your getting power at that point the fault will be with the PCB.

Most likely it will be a relay on the PCB, so you wont see any obvious scorch marks.

I can confirm there isnt a internal fuse (thermal or otherwise) which would result in the unit being completely dead.

Let me know how you get on checking the switch, and if you need any assistance finding the replacement part from part master or espares.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks James,The power is certainly getting to the connector that plus into the corner of the PCB. The only 'switch' is the main rotary dial. I'll see if I can find some contact points to check if it is getting any power.Andrew
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Hi Andrew, on looking at the parts diagram the PCB (587) also contains the switch (program dial), as this is a moulded unit its unlikely to be something you can service, so you looking at replacing part 587 if its the switch or the PCB anyway.

Part Master are doing it for £166 here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the switch is well stuck to the PCB, so I can't easily get to any metal contacts to check whether it is working, and, as you say, it will be more or less impossible to mend, even if it is the problem. There is definitely power getting to it though.It sounds as if you are pretty confident that it is the PCB??? Thanks for the link - I will follow up.
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

Based on experience I would say its the PCB, I cant think what else it would be or what I would check next to rule it out.

The question is now if you think its an economical repair.

James

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks James - I suspect you're right. I've had similar problems with showers and boilers. The rest of the machine is fine, so it is probably cheaper than buying a new one (assuming it solves the problem!)Many thanks for your help - always useful to get a second opinion on these things!Andrew
Expert:  JamesI replied 9 months ago.

No problem Andrew, appreciate if you can rate the service received.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will do! Have a good weekendA
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great service - confirmed my suspicions that I needed a new circuit board, and pointed me in the direction of where I could get a new one. A day later, the part had arrived and I was able to fit it and solve the problem. Much cheaper than a new washing machine!