Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a fridge freezer Hotpoint FFU3D W Came home from work

I have a fridge freezer Hotpoint FFU3D W
Came home from work and all the blue and ***** *****ght and the internal LEDs are flashing. It won't turn off.
If I unplug it, the lights stop but then as soon as I plug it in the lights start going nuts again. There is no noise from the cooling element...
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

If you open the fridge doors and look at the controls at the top you will see 2 buttons on the left hand side.

You need to press and hold them 2 buttons together for a few seconds and this will turn the appliance off.

Then press the same 2 buttons again and it will turn it back on.

Now it will have reset the flashing lights from there.

Then see how it goes from there. Hopefully that sorts it, Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read the manual too.
I have done that. Nothing changes, the amber and blue lights still flash as do the LED internal lights. /as I said in my original question, I have also tried unplugging it as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot afford to talk to you for an additional 15 quid, so please just type.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Unplugging wont make a difference on this. Plus i didnt read a manual i know these applainces as i work on them all the time.

Turn it off again by the 2 buttons at the top.

When its off press and hold the 2 supre freeze button which is the 2nd button from the left.

Hold this is for about 5 seconds utill it lights up and then let go.

Now it will run a test cycle. If it picks up a fault some lights at the top will flash, Let me know which lights flash.

But if it doesnt flash thten it will switch off after about 5 minutes once the test cycle is complete.

Turn it back on by holding the 2 buttons on the left and see what happens from there.

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already said that when I press those two buttons in, nothing happens. The lights still flash, and the fridge freezer does not turn off. Nothing changes at all. All the lights are still flashing even with the buttons pressed, it is NOT turning off, no matter how many times or for how long I press the buttons.
So I cannot follow your instructions above.
The motor is not running either.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

When you press the 2 buttons at the top do you feel like a click as you press them like the 2 buttons on the other side?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All 4 buttons click lightly when pressed.
Its only a couple of months old...
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok if all 4 buttons click but its not turning off when you press and hold the 2 far left buttons at the same time then it will only be the control board itself at fault.

As thats the only thing that will stop it from turning off as thats the only way to reset the flashing is by turning it off at the top and back on. As its not turning off then it can only be down to a faulty control board im afraid.

As its only a few months old then if you get Hotpoint in they will replace the board and program it up as that can only be done with there laptops. So when you ring them up tell them you have a problem with the control board and hopefully they will send the part out with the engineer.

Sorry its not a quick fix but as you cannot turn it off then it can only be down to the control board here im afraid.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well thanks for your time, the Hotpoint helpline is closed now and no doubt will take me weeks to get someone out. Will it keep the food in the fridge cold, as the manua says it will keep everything at 0 degrees? or will it just get warmer and warmer?
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

When it goes like that it keeps the freezer at around the -14 mark and the fridge is usually ok.

Give them a bell in the morning and hopefully they can call out soon for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are confident its the control board?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cooling motor thingy is not running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would it have gone like this? We are out all day...
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Thats all it can be if its not turning off when you press and hold the 2 buttons at the top on the left. As holding them for several seconds turns it off. If thats not happening then it can only be the control.

If the motor isnt running as well then that could be the control board as well as the control boatd tells it when to run. Also when the lights flash then the compressor doesnt always run as it should as well.

As to why its happened theres no way of telling. As they can go at any time. It could have been a power cut during the day or its just failed as they can happen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thankyou.