Michael
Michael, Customer Service
Experience:  I have been an appliance repair tech for over 30 years and will help you solve your problems.
11519491

I have a Liebherr stand alone stainless steel freezer, model

Customer Question

I have a Liebherr stand alone stainless steel freezer, model number 7080 393. (Service No:(###) ###-####00). I've had this for a good few years and it hasn't ever given me any problems until recently.Over the last weeks I've had water on the floor of the kitchen. The freezer seems to be working OK and I have defrosted it some 2/3 days ago. At the back of the freezer there's a plate behind what looks like a compressor where water condenses and then drops onto the floor. Can someone give me some idea what the problem may be and if I need to buy a replacement part or get the thing repaired. Thank you.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Can you be more specific, please.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I am Tech Michael an expert in this field and I will be assisting you today. I am a Master Technician that's dedicated to giving you the best Answer possible.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:

1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.

The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Remember to leave a Positive Rating ,it doesn't cost anything additional to rate kindly;-)

I am only credited for my time and expertise if you rate kindly.

All you need to do, is defrost this unit with the doors open for 24 hours.

Then remove the inner wall of the freezer and clear the drain line behind that wall inside the freezer You can use a piece of stiff wire for this .

Be gentile with this but you will see the clog clear after this ;-)\

In any case, I will stick with you until this is complete.

Please rate my service kindly.

Also it is the only way I am credited for my time and expertise with you.

Once you rate, I will be notified and will add your question to my priority list so you can reach me anytime until this problem is solved.

Then you can reach me by simply replying to this message anytime.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, it's Friday afternoon, I'll get to this over the weekend and get back to you. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you be specific about the inner wall, There's a panel at the back of the freezer, half on the floor, half on the wall, it seems to be held on with a few screws, is this what you mean. Thank you.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

Hi the panel is inside the freezer it attaches with a few screws you should remove the shelf guides prior to doing this for ease.

Please rate kindly so I can stick with you especially since it will be a few days;-)

Thank you and have a great weekend!
Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've had a look at the freezer and taken a few photos, also I've downloaded a JPG to show you it's just a freezer on it's own. The one I have is similar in appearance. The panel you say can be unscrewed doesn't seem to be one which can be removed as it seems to have the cooling pipes built in. I'm being careful, I don't want to damage anything.Just a thought, is the access panel underneath the freezer, I've looked at the back and no visible access panel.The model number on the instruction manual I still have is 7080 393, I've also included a photo of the ID sticker.Is there any YouTube videos out there I could watch.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

Yes the first pic is the one where you need to remove that metal aluminum plate.

Once you do you will see the drain clear that and you should be good to go. But first the unit must be full defrosted.

Im here all weekend as well for you.

Please rate kindly at this time so I can stick with you.

Tech Michael ;-)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've had another look at the freezer and specifically what you refer to as the aluminium plate. If you look at my previously uploaded photos (IMAG0120.jpg) you will see the aluminium part is the top half of the plate, at the top of the aluminium plate you'll see it is fused with the pipes and therefore cannot be lifted out of the way unless I'm prepared to snap the pipes. The plate hasn't been formed so it sits on top of the pipes, it has the pipes as part of its structure.I think you're getting this mixed up with a fridge freezer, I've done precisely what you've described with my fridge but the freezer simply isn't built the same way.I think I'll have to bite the bullet and call in a Liebherr engineer, the problem, I suspect is at the back of the freezer. The water isn't pooling at the bottom of the freezer, it's on the kitchen floor. There isn't anything inside the freezer except frost when it's turned on.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

May I have the full modle # and the approx age of your fridge?

Sincerely

Tech Michael

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It isn't a fridge it's a freezer, a Liebherr Freezer GSES 1423, also please refer to the JPG of the serial number sticker. I have also scanned in the cover of the manual, JPG attached.According to the documents I still hold, the freezer was purchased in 2003.I own 2 Liebherr units, a stainless steel freezer (with the problem) and a matching fridge which doesn't have a problem.If you look at the attached JPG - Back of freezer-condensation.jpg, you'll see there's some kind of plate behind the compressor. This plate gets very cold and water condenses on it and then ends up on the kitchen floor in quite substantial amounts. Whatever the problem is, it appears to be associated with this section of the freezer.Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's a good little freezer and works well, it's just the water on the floor.Thank you.
Expert:  Michael replied 1 month ago.

Hi thanks for posting your question, Its normal for this plate to get condensation on it, directly behind that plate are your cooling coils and a drain.

The drain is likely clogged.

What you need to do, since it is most likely just ice in the drain tube, is defrost that freezer for 24 hours with the door open.

Once thats done make sure the tube in the drain pan back there is clear sometimes even food particles get in there and cause the clog. I use a piece of fairly stiff wire to clear the drain line, but usually it will clear it self once it has been defrosted because most of the time it is just ice in there. Be careful not to puncture the plastic drain tube!

That will stop the water from leaking on the floor, because that drain tube takes the excess water during derfost cycles to the drain pan below the freezer.

Please rate my service kindly.

Thank you and have a great day!

Sincerely

Tech Michael