JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We are having a new kitchen fitted to the house we recently

We are having a new kitchen fitted to the house we recently purchased - all electric as there is no mains gas in the village.
We have inherited a gas hob, run from two 13Kg Calor Gas Propane cylinders kept outside.
The kitchen fitters want £200 to "cap off bottles and do gas safety test inc certification" which, to me sounds excessive as all we want is to take the gas away.
May I have your comments on this please?
Steve
Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

Hi Steve,

This is excessive and not required.

A gas safety check is not required if you have 1 disconnected the gas bottles from the supply, and 2 do not have mains \ natural gas to the property (as there isnt a risk gas may still be connected and enter the property).

If I was you, I would call a local plumber and get them to cap off the empty pipe (you dont need a gas safe certification), and its about 20 minutes work, so shouldnt cost you more than £60 (£80 if in the greater london area).

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Expert:  JamesI replied 11 months ago.

If you call Calor up they will often come and collect the bottles from you free of charge, or put them on ebay and you will probably get the £60 plumbing cost back in selling the bottless).

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Great answer - will save me money in the near future
Thanks James
Steve