Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

My fridge freezer PRT55FF SL/SS/W/BK was purchased in

My fridge freezer PRT55FF SL/SS/W/BK was purchased in November 2010.
The freezer compartment has been in steady decline over the last few months. The temperature is now above the recommended lower limit though the appliance is still 'cold.' Frozen goods remain frozen but ice cream slowly melts and new goods [eg bread] do not freeze properly.
The fridge is OK. Adjusting the temperature control in the fridge only makes the fridge colder and does nothing to the freezer.
Is this a fault that can be cost-effectively repaired, or do we draw a line a buy a new appliance? On the Prestige website [UK] I notice that fridge freezers no longer feature.
Thank-you.
Su
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 12 months ago.

Hi Su - the first thing to do is a full defrost of the appliance, this Chinese built unit was prone to freezing vents up which then caused poor cooling. If that doesnt work then to be honest with you I would replace it with something more reliable as the brand which was mainly sold through Comet no longer manufactures much refrigeration and parts will be difficult to get. Candidly you did well to get 6 years out of it - Ian