JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a problem with a burner in my gas cooker

Good afternoon James,I have a problem with a burner in my gas cooker
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 months ago.

Hi, can you please advise what is the issue with the gas burner and if its just the one burner or all of them affected on the hob?

JamesI, Handyman
Experience: I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, it is just one burner. It just does not produce flames when lit
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 months ago.

Hi sorry for the delay in responding.

it sounds as though the jet has become blocked, have you recently had something spill \ boil over on the hob?

The quickest thing you can do to remedy it would be to remove the burner, then put something thick like fuse wire or similar through the small brass jet which sits under the burner, give it a good poke, place the burner back in place and see if that clears the fault. Have a look at the first 2 minutes of the video here, which shows you what to do.

Should that not work the next step is to get an engineer out as you have to strip the hob down, as will require a Gas Safe registered engineer to safely recommission the hob once the fault has been cleared.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. There is another burner that does not work properly - it flickers a lot
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 months ago.

This will most certainly be the jet on both of the burners, something is obstructing the flow of gas.

The only other thing it could be is the valve, but in the vast majority its due to debris in the jets, and a just removing them giving them a good clean, and then giving the burners a good scrub fixes the issue.

If after giving the jets a good clean its still flickering the next step is to get a gas engineer out to strip down the hob, let me know how you get on cleaning the other burner, and if it still has an issue let me know your postcode and I will see who I can recommend in your area.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I think there is some problem with the oven too
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 months ago.

This would suggest there is a wider issue with the gas flow to the appliances if you seeing problems to your appliances, I would suggest you arrange an engineer to come out to inspect the setup, as this can be rather dangerous if the gas appliances are not working properly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you. I would like to discuss this on the phone but there seems not to be such an option today
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi, my postcode is W14 9JP, could you please recommend a gas engineer. Thank you
Expert:  JamesI replied 7 months ago.

I would suggest you use J.R.G on 0207(###) ###-####

They charge around £45 call out and will strip the unit down, and diagnose the fault, and can give you a quote for any replacement parts, but as stated earlier, in the vast majority of cases just stripping it down giving it a clean and recommissioning the hob will resolve the issue.

James

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much for your advice. It's been very helpful and I appreciate it very much. Thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
You are the best!