Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

I have a Samsung RS20CCMS Fridge Freezer. 10 years old, no

I have a Samsung RS20CCMS Fridge Freezer.
10 years old, no previous problems.
Awoke this morning to find freezer temp at 18 degrees, fridge 17. Everything completely defrosted. All lights, door switches and panels seem to work and display fine. If I hold freezer door open and press in door switch then a fan at the top of the freezer comes on. Temperature not reducing.
Any ideas.
Alan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** first things first is the compressor (motor at the back running) and if you put your hand on it is it hot warm or cold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have a look.
Be a few minutes.
Cheers
Alan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just pulled the fridge/freezer out so I could get to the pack.
Switched it on, there was a 'click' sound from where the motor is, a motor ran for about 10secs then there was another 'click' and it switched off again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pack = back

OK - bad news Im afraid, the compressor has failed the click you can hear is the safety cut out on the side of the compressor that cuts the electric supply before it overheats. This is a high cost repair, you could be looking at around £300 to replace the motor - I would suggest with the age of the RS20 it not a viable unless you are stuck with it size wise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bummer.
Been looking on-line. Can get a decent new fridge/freezer for not much more than that. Will go down that route.
Can I clarify something please? Is your view of approx £300 just for the motor or for the full job. Will go new no matter what, would just like to relay correct info when reporting to the missus.

Your looking at about £300 all in - you could get it slightly cheaper if you replaced the Samsung compressor with a standard 1/4 horsepower compressor from another manufacturer. We do it here quite often. Samsung compressors are very expensive and in all honesty not to good either. Would you now kindly rate the information given by selecting from the star rating system at the top of the page, once done you can come back to me for further information if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do.
For info - I've just turned it on and off a further couple of times. Does the same thing.
Alan