JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Hob ignition stopped working. Gas supply fine.

Customer Question

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the igniter has failed, is there a separate igniter button or is that part of the burner knob?

In some cases wate can get into the button and cause it to fail, but if the igniter is controlled by holding down the gas for each hob its most likely the igniter has failed\shorted out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From yr description it sounds as though the igniter has failed/shorted as the igniter is controlled by holding down the button that controls the gas flow. Is there a fix?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

The fix rather depends if you have an igniter button or if its actuated as part of the hob control.

Since it may just be the switch and spray some WD40 may resolve it, as it will clean the dirty contact, failing that its likely to be the igniter itself which will need replaced, they are normally around £30 from online firms such as this one here.

With it being a gas appliance it is most likely going to need a gas safe engineer to attend to remove the hob cover, swap out the part and put it back together, if you would like me to recommend a suitable engineer in your area please provide your postcode.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Good morning do you still require assistance?

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sarah, I havent heard from you in a while, do you still require assistance?

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Sarah, I havent heard from you in the last couple of days do you still require assistance. In order for me to close the case I need you to rate the service received using the star rating on this page.

James