Daniel
Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

We turned our dishwasher (SGS5342GB/17) off mid-programme

We turned our dishwasher (SGS5342GB/17) off mid-programme this morning and now, when switched back on, there's just the sound of a pump(?) whirring but nothing else happens. I tried pressing the two reset buttons and the programme timer returns to zero and the water in the machine is pumped out. Restarting the machine, it starts to let water in before stopping again with the whirring noise. Help please!
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

If you open the door do you still hear the whirring noise?

If you pore a jug of water in there does it drain the water out stright away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HiYes, the whirring noise stops when the door is opened. The water drains out straight away.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

Ok i think you will find this is down to a water leak in the base which has activated the flood switch in there.

What you need to do is pull the dishwasher out and lay it on its back and this will allow the water to drain out from the base. So you will need a towel for that part.

Once the water is out the flood switch will reset itself and this will stop the pump from running all the time.

Then retry it and fingers crossed this is just a one off that caused it.
But if it does it again then theres a leak under there which you need to find and fix. For this you need to remove both side panels and then you can see the workings under there and check for any loose hoses.

Try that and see how it goes from there and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Daniel, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Expert:  Daniel replied 1 year ago.

No worries, Just get back to me if you need anymore help.