Dales-Electronic
Dales-Electronic, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
26760916

We have a 10-year old Bosch fridge freezer, which has always

We have a 10-year old Bosch fridge freezer, which has always given trouble from the beginning because the automatic defrost did not work properly and it would get iced up. Now, it has completely given up cooling at all. Is it likely to be worth repairing?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Dales-Electronic replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** could you give me the ENr from the rating label inside the fridge please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is KGN33V00GB/01 and the next numbers are FD8809 104388

Many thanks be right back

If you put it onto super freeze does the motor kick in and continue to run?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The motor seems to be running, but not cooling. I am not sure if that is when we had super freeze switched on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Our impression was that it initially started cooling but then the automatic defrost kicked in after about an hour and then it warmed up, so that the inside of the fridge felt warm.

OK if you switch it to super freeze the defrost is bypassed. So run it up on superfreeze and tell me if it is getting down to temperature.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
sorry, I did not see your answer come in. My wife thinks she did try that, but is not absolutely certain. So I have done that. It will take some time to get down to temperature - it's been off for over a week.

No worries I will be here until about 10pm and then again from about 8am tomorrow - come back to me when you are ready

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That sounds great. From your time signature you seem to be in NZ?

Nope - Based in the UK - Lincolnshire.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How come the 07:16 time, then? Determined I guess by the website? Anyway, not important - except that you are in the same time zone as me so 10pm means 10pm and 8am means 8am! I'll come back to you tomorrow with the news of what has happened to the machine. If you can give us a solution to fix the current fridge freezer, I think you deserve a lot more than the £11 that I agreed to!

OK I'll be around - thanks for the confidence.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Unfortunately, the water in the freezer tray is still warm(ish) and the fridge interior is also warm. The motor still sounds as if it is running, except that it is much
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
quieter than it normally is. Well, maybe not much quieter - it is similar enough in sound to fool me that it might be running, but it clearly is not actually working.

OK its had enough time to do something in the cooling line, since everything seems to be working mechanically you either have a shortage of refrigerant (very common) or the compressor is failing and not pumping the gas around. If you dont have specialist refrigeration tools this is a job for a fridge engineer and not a diy proposition. From a price point of view a recharge of refrigerant would cost between 65-95 pounds depending upon the area of the country and if its the compressor I would scrap the appliance as that likely will be £180-200 repair.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That is a really good analysis, thank you very much. I guess there is no way that we can tell which it is? It will need someone with refrigeration tools to determine it. I strongly suspect the compressor is not running properly because of the change in the sound. Or would it have changed if there was a shortage of refrigerant? Oh, and I should also ask you if you know whether there are any fridge freezers on the market which are capable of operating at below 10 degrees Centigrade? Our larder, where we have the machine, is below that in the winter.

The sound would have changed as the refrigerant will not be there to pump. Re fridge freezers - where do you have it located?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's in our larder, which has a window with holes in it - the old mediaeval dairy. So it can get pretty cold in the winter. Not below freezing, but down to probably 5 degrees. It also has a low ceiling and uneven brick floor.

Understood, if you look at the specifications most fridge freezers will not work in this environment. To briefly explain, if you have a fridge freezer that is controlled by a thermostat in the fridge area as long as the temperature is higher in the room that the set temperature (eg, fridge set to +5C room ambient temp at +10C) everything will work fine. If however the room temperature goes to say +2C then all thermostat control is lost. Subsequently the freezer temperature comes up to the ambient temperature (everything defrosts) - once the ambient temperature goes above +5C system restarts. In your situation you need to find a fridge freezer that has either two temperature controls or two controlled compressors. As you have seperate control for each zone (fridge/freezer) it will work fine.

Experience: I am a Home Appliance / Refrigeration Technician of 25yrs+ with my own business and for multi-brand national companies.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, thank you so much for your help. I have really valued your expertise and attention.

A pleasure, come back to me if you need further help - thanks for rating and have a good day.