JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a "Nobel" two-oven gas fired range with a reluctant

Customer Question

I have a "Nobel" two-oven gas fired range with a reluctant Thermocouple: the piezo fires up first time, every time - but the pilot flame is not maintained, even if I keep it going for three minutes or so, just to make extra sure.
One alleged "range repair specialist" could not have been faster to refuse my invitation to take a look, claiming that it would be impossible to find a replacement Thermocouple; and that in his opinion (and sight-unseen) the Nobel was now useless.
Can that be right?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi David, some spares are easily sourced as they are used across a range of models.

If you can help me out with the model number or Gas Council code for the appliance I can find out if spares are available.

This information should be found on the rating plate of the range.

I will await to hear back from you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If spares were easily sourced for this particular oven, I would have found a supplier by now. Unfortunately there is no model number; no Gas Council code; and there is no rating plate attached to this appliance. There was only ever one model of Nobel 2-oven gas-burning range cooker, as far as I am aware; but certainly the current "junkers"-style starter valve is itself a replacement of the original [this one has a push-twist piezo knob to start the pilot - whereas the original had twin square buttons that involved "press-and-hold"].
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

If you have already contacted suppliers trying to source the part and cant find parts then the range engineer you spoke to originally is correct the unit is beyond economical repair.

You may well find a suitable part however you will most likely invalidate your home insurance, as the part will not have been fitted according to manufactures specifications, as such it appears the appliance has come to the end of its life.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi David, I havent heard back from you, if you have everything you need, please rate the service received using the star rating, so I can close the case.

Should you need any further assistance please advise how I can assist you further.

James

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think the point here is that everyone - sorry, but this includes you - is being extraordinarily quick to write-off my oven without so much as taking a look at it. I have already made clear that the piezo works just fine, and produces a pilot light, but the Thermocouple will not open. So one would imagine that a replacement (universal) Thermocouple would do the trick. And a qualified gas engineer. But everyone just dodges the bullet by stampeding towards a Death Certificate. Is there something odd about repairs to the Nobel cooker that no-one wants to talk about?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

David, the issue is around the parts are not available, in this case the thermocouple.

By all means if you can show me a suitable thoughmocouple, I am happy to see if this has a suitable Gas Council code which would make it compatible with your appliance.

From my research no such parts are available for your unit, if you secure parts from a donor unit from a scrap yard (which I think is your best bet) the appliance can be repaired, but you will not find any gas safe engineer who will use any 'universal' parts which is not certified by the gas council, as the liability sits with the last gas safe engineer who commissioned the appliance.

Your only option as I see it is to find a suitable part, if you send me the GC (Gas Council) code of the 'universal' part, or the details of the donor part, if it comes back as compatible, I can find someone to attend and replace the part.

I know this isnt what you want to hear, but when is comes to safety and liability no trustworthy engineer is going to risk bodging an appliance for making an extra £50, in effect it would be criminal.

I hope this clarifies why your unable to find an engineer able to assist without the parts being made available.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 month ago.

Hi David, I havent heard from you.

If you require any further assistance please let me know, otherwise would appreciate you log back in and rate the service received using the star rating on the page, so I may resolve the query.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 26 days ago.
Hi David, I havent heard from you.If you require any further assistance please let me know, otherwise would appreciate you log back in and rate the service received using the star rating on the page, so I may resolve the query.RegardsJames
Expert:  JamesI replied 24 days ago.

Hi David, I havent heard from you.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

James