JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have a Bosch dishwater now a few years old which ahs

Customer Question

I have a Bosch dishwater now a few years old which ahs performed well. However, yesterday I pressed the start button and there was a noise which sounded like a blown fuse. I changed the fuse, pressed the button and the same thing occurred. Is there a short inside the m/c? if so can I fix it without calling in an engineer?
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave,

This would as you thought, suggest there is a short within the appliance.

In terms of a self repair it can be rather tricky and time consuming as it would require stripping down the appliance and checking the core components, such as the circulation pump, heating element, PCB, and drainage pump.

Certainly if you have a reasonable understanding of appliances there is not issue with you giving it ago, but make sure you take pictures as you go to remind you how things fitted and secured in place.

From experience, the most likely faulty component is the heating element, as that is cable of pulling more than 13a (which would be needed to blow a fuse) which depending on the appliance may be integrated into the circulation pump, you want to use a multi meter to check continuity and checked there is a significant resistance in place.

The second most common fault will be in the PCB, most likely a faulty relay, the quickest way to check this is to unplug the connectors other than the display and turn it on and see if it trips.

Should you want me to recommend an engineer to attend please let me know your postcode.

Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dave, I would appreciate it, if you could please log back in and rate the service received. Should you have any follow on questions, let me know, and I will gladly assist you further

James
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

James