JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

My dryer just stopped working mid cycle. Checked the plug

Customer Question

My dryer just stopped working mid cycle. Checked the plug fuse & socket . Not even the lights will come on?!
Expert:  JamesI replied 27 days ago.

Hi Triona,

My name is ***** ***** I will assist with your query today.
If your confident the appliance is getting power by checking\replacing the fuse, and checking the socket with another item (eg lamp), the fault most certainly is due to the PCB.
Start by leaving the unit unplugged for 30 minutes, and then plug it back in and see if it comes back on, if it does this will be due to a thermal cutout inside the appliance, and you need not do anything unless the issue reoccurs at which point there could be a problem with it overheating.

However should the appliance not come back to life after being plugged back in, this would suggest a PCB failure, and a new PCB will be required, these can often be rather expensive.

Let me know how you get on, and if it doesnt come back to life send me the model of the hotpoint dryer and I can lookup the cost of a replacement PCB for you.

James

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thanks James, will try that now & keep u posted.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Morning James. No joy! It's a hotpoint TCL770 Aquarius. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  JamesI replied 27 days ago.

A replacement PCB is around £70 from here, however will need programmed, and in most cases its normally only possible by Hotpoint engineers as you need a smart card to programme them.

If you want to proceed with the repair please provide me with your postcode and I can see if there are any local engineers who can do this for you, failing will obtain a quote from Hotpoint to attend.

James

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
The only problem is that I am in the sticks (arse) of Donegal. Postcode in Ireland F94 P0K6! Would it be better tryin one of the 'local' applicance lads here if that is the problem & go from there- & have wasted your time??��
Expert:  JamesI replied 26 days ago.

Hi Triona,

I your post code is showing Anna Island, after speaking to our local engineers we dont have anyone who covers your area. You could certainly try local engineers to you (if you know any), however in most cases they will be unable to programme the PCB.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
James, many thanks for all your help. Better go shopping for a new dryer then��. Enjoy the rest of the w'end.
Expert:  JamesI replied 25 days ago.

I think that would be the most economical option, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Expert:  JamesI replied 24 days ago.

Hi Triona, I would appreciate it if you could please log back in, and rate the service received, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 23 days ago.
Hi Triona, I would appreciate it if you could please log back in, and rate the service received, and let me know if I can be of any further assistance.James
Expert:  JamesI replied 20 days ago.

Hi Triona, I havent heard back from you, if you have everything you need, please rate the service received using the star rating, so I can close the case.

Should you need any further assistance please advise how I can assist you further.

James