JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

Have a HC60NG and HW80 thermostat. My thermostat seems to be

Customer Question

Have a HC60NG and HW80 thermostat. My thermostat seems to be working but the green light on the HC60 unit is off and there is no red light either. When i press the teach in button, green light comes on for a second then switches off and no heating comes on??? any ideas?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I have tried resetting the box but still not working
Expert:  JamesI replied 23 days ago.

Sorry for the delay in responding, it sounds as though the HCW80 has lost its binding \ sync with the HC60NG.

Start by 'reteaching', on the HC60NG press and hold the button in for 6-8 seconds, the release.

On the HCW80 press and hold the teach button for 5 seconds which is located to the right of the battery compartment.

Give it a minute to sync, then see if the boiler responds.

Please let me know how you get on.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I had already tried doing this after reading the manual. Just attempted again, but no change. I have also tested the strength and I'm getting a reading of 5. There are no lights on the receiver at all unless I press something, but the green light goes streight off. Any other ideas??
Expert:  JamesI replied 23 days ago.

If you briefly press the button on the HC60NG does the green light stay on, and at any point do you see the red light?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Green light flashes on, followed briefly by the red then all the lights go off and the boiler doesn't respond
Expert:  JamesI replied 23 days ago.

This suggests a faulty receiver (HC60NG), as we know its binding ok.

By pressing the button briefly it should work as a override, and the boiler should start.

As such would suggest you look at buying a replacement, the cheapest I have seen them is here for around £70.

I am fairly confident its nothing to do with the boiler, as the green light should come on and stay on regardless of what is going on with the boiler.

Replacing the HC60NG is straight forward, no wiring is required it just clips off the wall and the new one clips in its place.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Is there any way I can override that so I can have my heating on in the meantime?
Expert:  JamesI replied 23 days ago.

My guess is the relay inside the receiver has failed, so the override (by pressing the button) isnt working, so the only other option is to remove the panel and hardwire the boiler to stay on all the time.

To do this you would first need to turn the power off to the boiler, and then using a flat head screw driver remove the front of the receiver. From here remove the wire which is in the terminal block marked "b", held in by a screw, and place it in to terminal block marked "c", you may have to unscrew and then rescrew block C to hold the wire in place. This in essence will make the boiler stay on all the time. Once done, replace the receiver to protect the terminals, and then power on the boiler.
Remember once you have a replacement receiver you need to put the wire in block C back to block B.

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

James

Expert:  JamesI replied 21 days ago.

Hi Neil,

In order for me to close the case appreciate if you can login and rate the service received, using the star rating on this page.

James

Please let me know if the instructions above have allowed you to get your CH on?

I would appreciate it if you can login and rate the service received, using the star rating on this page, so I may resolve the case, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

James