JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

We have a T1252N0EU halogen hob. I cant find the technical

Customer Question

We have a T1252N0EU halogen hob. I cant find the technical information for it as to power rating and supply amps. It is currently hard wired into a 32 amp circuit along with the built in oven. This has worked well for 15 years. Now I want to replace it with an induction hob ref T41D40X2 but the installer says its power requirement is too high. He recommends getting a 13 amp version T40B31X2GB and hard wiring that. Can you tell me if I can simply switch the halogen hob for the 30 amp induction hob or the 13 amp one and is the 13 amp one going to be much slower to heat and cook. Thanks
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I can confirm you can swap out a halogen hob for a 13 amp appliance (eg induction hob), however from my experience the hob will be under-powered, when it comes to boiling up water on multiple zones. However some hobs have a boost function which can put all the power into one zone to get it up to temp, which overcomes the lack of power.

Some induction hobs can also be limited down in the settings as part of install, so you could buy a 25A induction hob but configure it to run at 15 or 20A, however again this is a feature of the hob and not all hobs support this option, and you would need to speak with the sales team as to what hobs have this function.

When working out the max load, we can assume the oven is around 3KW, and the induction around 7KW, in all installations I have seen a separate feed has been run to the induction hob, which would be a 6mm twin and earth with a 32A breaker.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.