JamesI
JamesI, Handyman
Experience:  I have repaired and maintained numerous items over the years, from fridges to freezers, radios to TV's.
75967336

I have an indesit washer dryer with a serious vibration

Customer Question

Good morning. I have an indesit washer dryer with a serious vibration issue
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Hi Martin, are you only getting the vibration on the high spin speeds?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi James,
Essentially if I run the wash at 600 rather than 1200 spin the machine vibrate much less, although still noticeable. at high speeds I am worried it will jump off it's feet and onto the floor! The whole machine rocks around and hammers itself against the side wall. On the other side I have moved the under-sink cabinet to provide approx 1cm space to avoid the cabinet getting beaten to pieces.
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Hi Martin,

It sounds like the shock absorbers have failed, if you provide me with the model of Indesit washer I can advise where you can find the replacement part, however on average your looking at around £20 in parts.

Should you wish me to recomend a suitable engineer to attend, confirm the faulty and replace the parts, please provide me with your postcode.

James

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks. It will have to wait until I get home. My postcode is TW1 4SF
Do you think it might be to do with the counterweight?
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

If it were the counterweight I would have expected it to have caused just as many issue on low speeds as high speeds.

A quick check by pulling the washer out will show if there are signs of the weight failing, I would then place it on its side and look from the bottom up and see if there are any signs that it has failed. You can also inspect the shocks by removing the lid, and applying weight on the drum.

From experience most counter weights which fail are due to faulty shock absorbers in the first place.

Most shocks can be picked up from here, but once you get home and provide the model number I can give you the specific part you would require, they also sell the counter weight for around £40 here.

In terms of labour costs I would recommend AAJ on(###) ###-####3805, we have recommended them in the past and always had good feedback around their workmanship. They charge £80 per hour, and have availability tomorrow and onwards.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks - how many shock absorbers are there in a machine?
Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

It depends on the model, in 90% of the ones I have seen there are two, but the larger 10KG washers have 2 at the front and two at the back, but normally only two need replacing.

Expert:  JamesI replied 8 months ago.

Appreciate if you can rate the service using the star rating on the question page.

James